Is the dual 4.2 flipsky vesc really that bad?

Connect them w/ a CAN cable or dual PPM for the remote receiver.

NEO boxes have not been community tested, so take that into consideration.

3 Likes

Yep maker x, the one I have is solid good design, i have tested it in 4 wheel drive test build. Only issue is they fucked up the pinout on the uart port.if you want to add bluetooth you have to take 3.3v fron another connector, not the end of the world. Neobox has potential but wait till they are out in the wild pushing maple. Fs 6.6 is good for the average user. Not so much for bigger or extreme builds their warranty is sketchy best dont buy direct use amazon if possible.

1 Like

I definitely would if I had the cash, but I’m running a dual build, so I’d have to drop $400 on those two 6.6’s, right?
https://www.amazon.com/Flipsky-HGLTECH-FSESC-Based-Aluminum/dp/B07VPGCNW5/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=esc+6.6&qid=1584627391&sr=8-6
It might just be worth the risk to go with the neobox 4’s.

1 Like

6.6 dual is cheaper but if it was me. Neo or MakerX

2 Likes

That’s a pretty shit price, I’ve gotten single 6.6s direct from FS for $75-90 on sale. You can pick up a dual for around $200
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Flipsky-dual-electronic-speed-controller-based_60840052361.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.ffd26a60il00Gj

Maker-x mini focs are pretty rad if you don’t have crazy current reqs. That’s probably what I’d buy if I couldn’t wait and wanted to stick to a low budget.

1 Like

Agreed it will max out a 6354 motor (50Amp) but anything bigger look at 6.6 style or neo6.

It’s actually rather easy to replace an MCU.
I can do it for you if you want.

As you know its rarely just the mcu. Most of the 3.3 components are toast even the leds are fried. I suspect it shorted and killed the lem regulator and that now supplies 5v to the 3.3v rail.

1 Like

Also if you’re on a budget you can get a dual 6 from Esk8supply. It honestly works very well up to 50A per side, the remote is good and the switch is still working great…
Otherwise the dual 4.20 plus is cool.

I’m probably going to be running two 58kv motors in a dual direct-drive configuration. It’s only $30 to go from the 40A limit to the 100A with this one:

Thoughts?

It should be enough. My DD is a thirsty beast pulling up to 120 amps with AT wheels.with street or cloud wheels up to 70. A flipsky 4.2 wouldnt last long connected to most direct drives.

Its basicly 2 x $60 4.12 esc on 1 pcb. Only fets on 1 side have cooling what about the other side. Looks ok apart for this obvious design flaw plus that package fet need to be back mounted to heatsink not front mounted. thats why the maytech super 6.2 sucks. i am nit picking I ran uncooled 4.12 esc for years but direct drive you will want better cooling.

The best experience I’ve had with a vesc is a single 4.12 unit from torqueboards. I bought it used for $30 off here and it’s outlasted the combined $800 I’ve spent on Flipsky and enertion combined. Have not heard bad things about them, except for ‘back in the day’ when they were refining.

They’re $85 each, do yourself a favor and buy those. They are the most reliable 4.12 based variant you’ll get.

1 Like

neobox 4 or 6 (socket compatible to OG FOCBOX) until Torqueboards releases their new ESC

2 Likes

Would the dual 4.2 be fine as long as you don’t push it to its limits? I wanted to build a board with 6374 motors and a 10s3p battery but after reading this I’m not sure anymore

1 Like

If it’s one of the newer ones that has the updated resistors then it should be good to 30A per side.
Been running 2 single 4.2 with updated resistors at 10S 30A without issues since last summer.

No, spend the extra for two 6.6 singles. 10S3P will fall well short of being able to max those 6374s. Its max Id put through a 4.2 vesc though.I just blew a 4.2 on a 10S3P - might have been unrelated

the vesc 6 is a much better build. Although vesc4 can handle it, i dont plan on using another one.

my .02

Also, if you get a 6 now, you’ll have headroom when you want a bigger battery in a few months.

2 Likes

If I ran it in FOC mode does that put more strain on the vesc? And actually I mistyped the motors. They’re actually 6354 190 Kv from flipsky. My bad. And also if I wanted more range than the 10s3p, is it possible to buy two 10s2p packs and just wire them in parallel (or would it be series)?

read more post less

2 Likes

After searching I found everything I needed to know to run the vesc I wanted. Took your advice and just looked everywhere. Thank you :pray:t3:

2 Likes