Is the dual 4.2 flipsky vesc really that bad?

Just curious - what vesc did you end up choosing? I’m planning on making a similar build (dual 6374s, 10s) and haven’t chosen a vesc yet.

I’ve personally ran 4.20 dual minis (post resistor revision) on 12s FOC 20 battery/65 motor per side for hundreds of miles with zero issue. This is my personal experience and may not align with the experience of others.

2 Likes

How come I never hear of experience with Vanda? They look nice at least! That’s as far as my judging ability can go

Why can’t someone make even a basic 4.1 design just with overkill components for safety

Because that design has problems that “overkill components” can’t fix.

3 Likes

I decided to use the dual 4.2 100 amp. I found a full guide for the right settings in this link : https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/flipsky-dual-fsesc4-20-info-review/71079?u=andy87 it was the old forum so I didn’t see it at first

@Schtekarsten was able to push these things to 60 to 70A motor current post resistor fix.

It’s flipsky’s QC and CS that bites people in the ass. They have cold joint problems that adversely affect the QC roll and they run margins that disallow a decent CS policy, not a good way to run a business.

Ironically enough, the cold joint problem stems from the fact that they use premium grade PCBs (extra heavy copper) that allows them to run cooler than other ESCs (In addition to using better MOSFETs).

I have Flipsky 6.6s that run cooler than the official Trampa VESC 6 on the same settings.

3 Likes

It turns out that Vanda QC is even worse than flipsky and they’re still on reference 4.12 designs for some reason. Been there done that ._.

1 Like

The get their PCBs from OSHPark, they’re nice for prototyping but I would not rely on them for mass production.

2 Likes

I got 2 units a couple years ago now and they were riddled with solder bridges on the STM/DRV, enough that a couple resistors desoldered themselves when I connected the VESCs for the first time. Never made it to motor detection, they are now in a drawer.

1 Like

Sounds like it was hand soldered, that’s pretty bad.

1 Like

I do not trust them to preserve my flesh, in the drawer they will stay.

1 Like

Nice phrase there.

I hate mine. Have 3.

Buy used single focboxes

2 Likes

I have 2 6.6 FSESCs and one 4.20.
I love them. Build quality is very good, they use genuine components.
Non has ever failed on me. I use up to 50A per motor on the 6.6 and up to 30A on the 4.20. The 6.6 has 3000km on it.
I dont understand why peolpe hate them so much. For me it will only be Flipsky. The others are simply overprized. I get the 6.6 for 160€ shipped to me door, 110 for the 4.20.

1 Like