Is it possible to fabricate a differential for esk8, thus allowing for less motors but still getting 4WD?

Not sure either, although Matrix or Trampa trucks might be easiest. Something like this mount might work.

1 Like

Those are some long boi mounts.

I wasn’t quite clear about my idea for the differential, I’m thinking you would have to go with a live axle system. This means there would be bearings in the hanger instead of the wheels, and the wheels would need special inserts to convert them to live axle.

What is nice about the idea is that it all can fit into the center of the hanger including the motor.

This is really cool and a good size for esk8 adoption. But it’s plastic

I have thought and researched a lot about this. I would love to see a differential that allows a single motor to drive two wheels. The motor could remain in its orientation or depending on the pinion type, could be rotated 90* and be inline with the deck. If losses weren’t huge, it would be so cool to have a cavity in the rear of an enclosure where a big fat motor sat thay drove a differential and both rear wheels with limited slip. Same on the front would give you 4 WD with two 6380 motors or something like that. Could also mean that fixed gear drives thay are driven by shaft could be really small at the wheel end

It’s all a lot of advanced engineering that would be really complicated to make durable enough given the small size of the components and the operating forces. Especially if the plan is to keep it light.

1 Like

Ah gotcha. I was thinking more along the lines of the differential being mounted like a normal motor and each axle from the differential drives a gear/pulley like normal. That would also allow reducing the torque required by the differential, which seems like it would be necessary for that design.

1 Like

If you use a use a pulley or gear system after the differential, do you think it would reduce the stress enough to use nylon?

1 Like

Hmmm no idea. But the load will still exist as will the heat generated. But I think it would also depend on the orientation as I’m sure there will be extra energy lost in changing the direction of forces the way I’d like to see it mounts. Belts will add drag. It’s only really worthwhile if it’s equally efficient to a dual belt setup.

Nylon would work to a degree. But a failure means a problem for both wheels and with the complexity of parts, a failure likely means a lockup and not a neutral coast. The fact that the gears are so small will limit the amount of force the teeth can handle

1 Like

That all makes sense to me. The drive would have to be quite a bit bigger than that video, but if it was nylon it wouldn’t weigh much. I’ll be away from my printer for a month starting a week from now otherwise I’d be all over this. When I’m back I’ll try some prototypes with nylon. Maybe a some glass filled Nylon would stand a chance.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the Tesla friction gear box is the right play. Nylon will get you a gently rideable prototype. But machining all of those helical gears will be crazy expensive.

Id love to see 4wd 5055 gear drive. Keeping the weight more reasonable with good performance. But until we have some sort of a limited slip, single motor dual drive is a little stuck unless you wanna have a fixed axle. You don’t

1 Like

You can also put a differential in the drive shaft of a drivetrain, i dont know why everybody is suggesting to put it in the truck?

Anyway i dont want to stir this pot again :rofl:

1 Like

alvintai
close…

6 Likes

On the topic of differential, take a look at this, what’s going on?

13 Likes

slip on the drive system allowing the outside wheel in a turn to go faster than it is being driven

2 Likes

Why not a mtb freewheel? It’s chain drive…?

2 Likes

So no brakes?

I like the idea of 1 large motor driving 2 wheels saves cost with out compromising on the weakes part ie Grip of a single drive board. Go carts have a mutch mutch mutch mutch wider wheel base and have very little issue with a fixed axle. Diffs are not needed

4 Likes

Not sure where I heard the slip part actually, we nee more info.

In my head it was some kind of very limited slip that just makes it feel less dead at low speed hard carving not actual freewheeling.

1 Like

Just need a few planetary gears and pinion gear, whammy you have a limited slip differential.

1 Like

Are you saying that go carts are a good example? A solid axle go cart may hop the drive wheels on corners, which is bad. But that’s only in my experience, maybe the solid axle cart we built had other issues that led to axle hop on turns. Axle hop on a pneumatic tire board, driving on pavement is totally possible. Probably would feel sucky.

Dedicated mechanical brakes are needed like others have said. I can just see all those tiny drive shafts popping under any attempt to motor brake.

Axle brakes. Like regular brakes but different.

Helical gear transmission dual shaft output. They have them on ali.

2 Likes

Are those 3d printed tires?

6 Likes

Classic momentum

5 Likes