Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

Thank you Bill. I think my venture into eboarding is going to be a lot of fun.

6 Likes

famous last words

6 Likes

So true!
It really means two boards in the next six months. :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome @PJBrendel !
We have some great experienced off-road guys here ready to help out with all there experience.
I would recommend to get a bit a research in what you plan to build and than start a build thread with parts you choose before ordering.
We all together could than go over your list and sort out what will work or what better to change. If you ready for some diy stuff there are great options and combinations possible to build the board you dream of. If you more into plug and play a trampa complete is a great thing to start into all terrain/ e mtbing.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Andy87 . I appreciate the camaraderie here. I like your idea of a build thread. Although I think I’m going to order a pre-built from Trampa. Perhaps I could go through the list of parts I’ll be using and see if there are suggestions to change any parts.
I think my first foray into a semi off road board is going to be a Trampa electric carveboard. That will allow some light off road riding and give me a feel for something that’s in the mountainboard direction.
I need to start looking around for places that I may be able to do some actual off roading. I live on Long Island in New York and it’s very, very developed. There are some parks near me that I can spend a little time but I’m not sure if there are any restrictions for electric boards and people are more than willing to call the police if your having too much fun,

5 Likes

@PJBrendel Just don’t hesitate to ask if you want to know something specific. We all here to help.
Best experience is always the own experience :wink: sometimes it will cost you some $$$ but as long as you learn out of that it’s never wrong.
If you want to look first into light off-road or lets say all terrain without bindings you might want to have a look at @Kaly boards. Advantage there is that he is in your city and the decks have a concave which is very helpful if you want to carve without bindings (plus his batteries are mounted under the deck which looks more pleasant for the one or the other. I don’t mind too mount batteries thou :wink:)
One thing to for trampa prebuild to look at us the stiffness if the deck. If you like flex and below 80kg 15ply is nice. If you don’t like flex so much or over 80kg than 16-17ply is what I would look for.
Good start into your 2020 esk8 time :+1:

6 Likes

@Andy87 I think that the Kaly boards are eboard Masterpieces! I am fortunate to live about 45 minutes away from KalyNYC and Ernesto has been kind enough to offer me a test drive. I’m afraid that if I try one of those boards it may be hard to settle for anything else. I may end up with one in the future but for now that is about 1k above my (extended) budget.
Right now I am considering an MK2 TRAMPA ELECTRIC URBAN CARVEBOARD WITH V6 VESC & 12A BEAST BOX MINI SPRING TRUCKS WITH 6 OR 7 INCH WHEELS WITH 12A BEAST BOX - SINGLE MOTOR
The cost of this board is about $1250 USD. But that doesn’t include shipping, a second motor with mounting parts, and a battery. So I think I can get everything for about $1800, (which is still $600 more than I told my wife I was going to spend). So that’s where I am right now.

3 Likes

Lol that’s shockingly similar to what I planned on paying vs final cost.

I thought I was just over 1k… Came out to $1810. So many odds and ends you don’t think about.

Really consider what percentage of on road vs off road you’re doing and how off road the off road really is. Think of range and speed desired and go slightly above that so you don’t get bored.

But nice or buy twice! Great to have you here.

3 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile: budget is always a trouble for most of us. It’s always more expensive on the end than planed in the beginning @PJBrendel
I don’t want to make the trampa bad, it’s definitely a nice board as well, just give you some thoughts.
The mini trucks are not ideal in my opinion and if you later want to go full mtb with 8“ wheels or bigger it’s not going to work well as they are very narrow. Not sure what’s your range elections. With that lipo box which fit 6.2Ah 12s you will top out at 10-12km especially if you go dual drive. Also be aware that you will need to get a new set of lipos in a year or so. Depending on how often you use them and how you take care about them they might get puffy sooner than later. (Don’t over discharge them, set them to storage voltage after each ride, just charge short before you ride and get quality packs like hobbyking graphens and you might be happy for more longer).
If you will find out that you need some concave, there are some files available on thingivers to 3D print your add on concave for the trampa urban carve deck.
With this said I hope @BillGordon will not ban me for going too much off topic in this thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Well not even 24 hours after my first post I realize how much I need to learn. @Venom121212 and @Andy87 just reading your posts has helped me realize that I’m going into this with much more emotion than brains. I’m lucky to have a board that I really enjoy right now. That said, I need to do a lot more reading on this forum before I take the plunge. There’s so much about these boards that I need to learn.

5 Likes

So I think that best tactic for you would be look at some other people’s build threads who have similar goals to you from there learn why they used those parts and slowly build up an idea in your head

Then make a build thread

3 Likes

Perfect mindset to have. So glad you’re not the “no my plan is right and I’m doing it no matter what you say” type.

Just for reference, I came to the forum wanting to upgrade this:

:grimacing::face_with_monocle::face_vomiting:

And was awestruck that there were so many levels higher I should be shooting for. I’d go to the build of the year thread and start reading through the nominee threads.

There’s generally (and arguably) 4 types of builds:

1. Urethane short board - smaller, commuter, cheapest
  2. Urethane long board - speedy, carvey, connected
  3. Pneumatic longboard - speedy, carvy, kushy
  4. Mountainboard - all, fucking, terrain
8 Likes

Hi everyone. My name’s Mark. I’ve been lurking on your forum for little over a month now. Just finally made an account. Im really new to esk8ing. I’ve always had a passion for skateboarding on trick boards but that was years ago. Life kinda happened and got busy. I just bout my first esk8 board for commuting to work. First time I rode it was a blast. Instantly fell in love with this new hobby. I’m wanting to mod it and make it a little more rugged. I work for a CNC machine shop as an operator and Im mechanically inclined but am not good when it comes to electric stuff. So I’m hoping to learn from you guys. I’m very fascinated with some of the builds I’ve seen from you guys so far. I’m on a budget tho and I have a few ideas for my first DIY build but for now I just want to improve my board for commuting and have fun with it. While I save some money up and I hope you guys will welcome me into the community here

8 Likes

Pro tip, get her hooked, buy one for her this will ease your future :grin:

7 Likes

Truth! My wife rode my first board and said I should let her have that one and make another…

I had already been working on board #2 for months :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

NIce

What was your first board just fancy knowing

Also working and having a chance to use a cnc can be massive in esk8 for aesthetics and budget

There are multiple parts that can be cnced and if you are any good at designing can make you board look awesome :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I know some of your guys would probably laugh. But I have a dual motor 1800w Benchwheel board. All of the components have been put on a short cruiser deck with a kicktail witch I like. With a makeshift looking plexy glassed battery enclosure. For a China board its really not a bad starter board in my opinion And I also have a swag board that I’m fixing for the kids. Would post a pic of it but don’t know how to yet. I dont have a computer. Just my phone. I’m going to go pick up another off brand board today for the 6s4p lifepo4 battery so I can maybe double its range

4 Likes

We all start somewhere, and I still have a slightly upgraded Meepo in the corner.

I bumped your account so you can post and add pictures freely. I will add a screenshot in a minute to show how to add images.

Welcome!

1 Like

Select this to add photos.

2 Likes

Hi guys, i’m Jacopo from Italy, and i’m building my first own skateboard.
Actually im riding with an evolve bamboo gt, but it’s not enought for me.
Hopre the learn a lot on this coooool foum

:blush:

9 Likes