insanity: 4wd lean mean speed machine

Those drives don’t look too bad freerolling. If they’re heavily greased then that could be slowing them.
I’d get the opinion of @3DServisas @Murloc992 or @Kug3lis
I think they’re probably fine. Just don’t start pulling them apart.

7 Likes

Ain’t an expert but using 3 sets of 3DS gear drives so far so I can chime in. :smiley:

If the gear drives are really packed with grease instead of lightly greased they will not free roll that much on the bench. They will require good old riding to spread the grease where it needs to go. Also they will free roll better after some riding until the bearings break in. Usually around 40-50KM to make them work like you expect.

Sound on the bench is actually not that loud. During riding you will only hear the motors.

Good luck not dying with this not lean but mean speed machine. :smiley:

5 Likes

cheers thanks will attempt again
seems like the sensors arent great so maybe just that is the issue on stratup and also ahrav said they were heavily greased

2 Likes

The only way to find out is to do a detection, see if they all pass sensor detection. :slight_smile:

Not much grease is needed. Just a tiny bit to grease the teeth. I’ve even ridden my break in without any grease, no effect on the gears at all. :slight_smile:

Do not take them apart though. The grease will find it’s ways to overflow parts of the gear drives and not get into the way later.

2 Likes

yeah they work fine
will try again this evening and see

2 Likes

well after doing it all again good news is the startup is nice and smooth and ridiculously powerful
i can barely start up without flying off the board
also i fitted a 30amp fuse which should be fine for charging at 17amps
also the motors make a bit of a squeeking noise at first and i expect thats just the hall sensors will use around on the street a little and see if it goes after 50km or so

free roll doesnt look to bad and i dont want to loctite enclosure bolts yet as i may need to open again
when i do should loctite 243 be ok to use?

2 Likes

IMO I have never used loctite on enclosure bolts :shushing_face: Only lost one, ever once I started doing it this way… Over 2500+ Esk8 Miles in the past two 1/2 years, only one enclosure bolt lost and that was my fault :rofl:

I usually do this in this order

—Bolt—

—Colored Fender—
—Metal Spacer—
—Rubber Washer—
—Enclosure—
— Gasket—
—Deck—

Edit: Looks super weird when typed out like this :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

ah cool
some people recomended but i guess i have 20 bolts around so i should be ok

using that exact order minus the metal spacer
prob should use one though

If you use a fender washer and no metal spacer you will destroy the washer. A washer is NECESARRY, if you don’t want to pop holes in the fender washers from vibrations :joy:

1 Like

no sorry my bad meant the other way round i dont use a rubber washer rather just a metal one
is that bad?

1 Like

Rubber helps with water and vibrations, I use O-Rings usually as the rubber part

1 Like

ah k will install one soon
gotta find on amazon
thanks a lot

1 Like

first run on the road about to happen

super excited and praying all goes well

11 Likes

Good luck!

2 Likes

thanks will be back in 20 with a verdict and any issues
helmeting up now

3 Likes

what a machine damn.

3 Likes

thanks a lot

1 Like

How’d it go

well i went on a ride and this thing is insane. i didnt go to fast only around 25mph as it was dark and i dont have all my gear on.
this thing sucks in power though as i ended up at 77wh/km hopefully that number goes down a little
i couldnt get past mode 2 on the puck as the throttle was so intense and i had to change the throttle curve slightly so the brakes didnt throw me off

i also need to at a bit more riser as i was getting slight bite from the motors on the enclosure

otherwise though this thing is a literal tank and hopefully i will get the feel for it soon

had the bushings pretty nice and could make good turns so hopefully jsut the riser needs adapting

super pleased with how it turned out

4 Likes

also just to add the motors are way smoother now and they make a slight whirring on startup but will get used to it eventually. super loud though as i could hear it from like 100 meters away and sounds insane

for some reason mode 1 on the puck doesnt really work though as it litterally can barely move me

gotta setup some modes on my metr with different throttle curves and etc as that way i can create a board for all situations

2 Likes