Illume V2 Headlight & Tailight set - $45.99 with esk8 discount

Hi all! The time has finally come for me to officially release the Illume Version 2 headlight and taillight with universal mounts.

First off I’d like to thank @anorak234 and @Dirt_Bag for helping me with prototype testing and product improvement! Their input was priceless from my standpoint as I can only do so much testing and getting the opinions of real users is super important.

This is a continuation of the previous topic I posted asking users what they wanted in a headlight and taillight for their boards; almost everything discussed was taken into account. The topic can be found here if you want to run through it to see the development process: shorter link

To summarize; community members wanted a durable, adjustable, and bright headlight that didn’t break the bank. I am hoping to deliver just that! The new mount for the headlight features adjustable elevation and depression (up/down) angles that requires no tools at all. It has also been beefed up and features a 100% infill base so wrenching down your truck bolts is not a concern. The upper section is also 100% infill to strengthen the mount and protect the headlight.

The taillight is a newly developed taillight to replace my old one which is no longer being manufactured. The taillight is much more sleek; lower to the board out of the way and features a super bright, single bar LED light made by Blitzu that looks super cool.

Finally, onto the good stuff!

HEADLIGHT

Brightness: 320 lumens on max, 240 on medium, 180 on low Battery life: 2 hours on max, up to 8 hours on low, rechargeable from full in less than an hour Features: Max, Medium, and Low settings as well as a strobe effect which flashes on Max brightness for maximum visibility. Elevation/depression adjustment to shine light exactly where you want it. Light can reach as far as 150 feet on the ground and can be seen up to a mile. Currently the highest rated output longboard headlight available. Durability - IPX5 rated

TAILLIGHT - Blitzu 168T

Brightness: 168 lumens on max, 140 on medium, 120 on low Battery life: 1.5 hours on max, up to 6 hours on low, rechargeable from full in less than an hour Features: Max, Medium, and Low settings as well as a slow flash, fast flash and strobe effect which flashes on Max brightness for maximum visibility. It’s light can illuminate the ground up to 15 feet behind you, and can be seen from over 300 feet Durability - IPX4 rated

And now the best part - PRICE

An overwhelming majority of people said they hoped to see the price of a set of lights within the $50-60 range. This was tough, considering a comparable competitor such as shredlights is selling a set of headlights/taillights with much lower light output and a track record of lack luster durability for $75. That being said, decreasing the size of the mounts and finding good deals on bulk headlights/taillight I am able to offer a set of headlight and taillight, with mounts, and many other goodies for $45.99 before shipping to community members. Non-discounted price will be $55.99. Shipping is ~$3.80ish first class depending on where you are in the US; and is about $15 international IIRC. Therefore, a set can be had for <$50USD within the US. Individually, they are $29.99.

Now, the features of the mounts; they utilize the provided clip-style mounts included with the lights to provide a super secure and satisfying method of installation. In addition to this, they are universal and can be mounted to either the old or new school bolt pattern.

I can only upload one photo as I am a new user, but here is a imgur link with loads of photos:

and my one photo limit :slight_smile:

They will be for sale on my Etsy later tonight; use the coupon code ESK8COMMUNITY to receive the discount of $45.99. If you have any questions let me know! The link below has the coupon code pre-applied!

Etsy

19 Likes

I got too excited and finished the etsy listing early. The coupon code is pre-applied if you follow the link above. Thank you for the support if you choose to pick up a set and let me know if you guys have any questions!

cheers :slight_smile:

I have just one question for you what sets this set apart from the hundreds of bicycle lights flooding the market.
I’m just being frank this looks to me like all of those kits…

6 Likes

No offense, but your basically reselling stuff from those cheap Chinese sites. I’ve seen both those lights for wayy less. And lots of people here will print you something for free in most cases.

5 Likes

I’ve spent quite a bit of time to design this mount that is universal that is bolt on ready to mount and install. There is no fiddling around with it and as far as I know there aren’t any mounts that use the clip-in style mount included with the lights; charging the lights doesn’t mean taking apart your mount or having to keep your board next to the power source, you can just slide the lights in and out whenever you want.

You could also take them out while riding and use the lights in your hand if for some reason you wanted to.

These aren’t chinese knock off’s, either, the 168T was originally designed by Blitzu and is the highest quality version of them. I’ve tested several and all others rattle and are nowhere near as bright. The headlight is sourced from the same factory that produces Blitzu’s and is just as high of quality; i’ve also tested both.

Considering shipping, the fact that I offer life time replacements on the mounts, and the fact that I use genuine name brand lights; comparable bolt on options are so much more expensive using lower quality components the price is extremely justifiable. Considering shredlights, which have much lower specs, are over $25 more I think I’ve priced these appropriately.

4 Likes

Quality, customer service, price and bolt on installation? I am not familiar with many kits that have bolt on ready to install mounts for long boards that fit old and new school bolt patterns that allow you to remove/install the lights… These are name brand, high quality lights as well as opposed to cheap knock off lights that rattle and break within a month. I also offer life time replacement on the mounts.

2 Likes

It’s a curse and a gift; I feel you. I did the same thing but with some chinese “prototype” 18650’s that ended up being the worst batteries in human history. Never again.

On the flip side I can ship these out in three days if you order tonight. Your call.

That’s not a very generous outlook. A ready to go solution is worth money. No waiting for multiple parts from multiple vendors, no printing and testing and reprinting, just install and go.

4 Likes

And when you finally get your board running, you will find new stuff to buy and make it a bigger money pit than a ferrari

I get it. Just feels too much like a re-sell to me.

That’s ok, you don’t have to like it. But… Doging it before anyone has a chance to evaluate it is no good for anyone. Specifically they HAVE to be better than the goofy ass koowheel lights and are likely as good as shread lights if different.

5 Likes

Youve peaked my interest. Do you have more pictures. Thsnk you for the speedy response.

1 Like

I sure do! Check the album above, and later today I’ll post some pictures of CAD and other photos I’ve got kicking around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the cad files for the brake mount; I will get some photos of brightness tonight. I don’t have a professional camera, but I have a night mode on my oneplus 6 I might be able to leverage to get some good night photos.

3 Likes

No worries; I may be designing a bottom mount setup soon with dual lights; keep posted if you pre-order takes forever :wink:

1 Like

For anyone who thinks this is just another 3D-printable mount to a cheap bike light, I assure you that it is much better than that. I’ve had the opportunity to test the front light extensively and it performed like an Esk8 light should, not like an everyday shredlight mount that breaks due to the vibrations of SF roads. The mechanism for taking the light in and out is satisfying and reliable, the angle adjustable, and the light truly powerful. This is something I had been looking for where you can see the road as well as cars can see you. Previous lights that I’ve tested failed to meet that requirement which is why I’m all over this one.

I plan to write an article about this on Esk8.news but I’m debating whether or not to wait until production runs of these hit the public. Let me know if anyone else has questions from a testing standpoint.

5 Likes

Ask and thou shall receive :wink:

1 Like

Yea of course; I’ve already printed off one prototype and so far it seems like it will work with the caliber trucks.

Is that 2.51" center distance between the insides of the wheels? Does that board not use caliber trucks?

Also, here are some night photo’s I got yesterday. These are all taken with my oneplus 6 on nightscape mode so we have a solid baseline. These are pretty close to what you actually see; and this is a single light headlight/taillight. All of these were taken at 11PM in the pitch dark.

This is the light fully depressed towards the ground; it decreases the range but you see everything on the ground up to about 50 feet in front of you crystal clear and it kinda “digs” into potholes and cracks so you can see them much better.

And here is it basically level; full elevated didn’t look very different so I skipped that photo but you can imagine fully elevated you get less detailed ground coverage immediately in front of you but better range.

This is kinda what what you see when you are riding, the furthest visible point was about 150 feet away; ground coverage goes to about 75-85 feet and you can see obstacles past 150 feet

This was me standing about 150feet away

6 Likes

hmmm…:thinking:

That is going to be interesting to design for. Can you link me to those trucks so I can get some information on dimensions? There will have to be a flange that drops the lights down below that recess so you don’t have issues with interfacing. I don’t think it will be too tough; I might need to hit up Psychotiller for his cad if he has it.

1 Like