Illume V2 Headlight & Tailight set - $45.99 with esk8 discount

Any chance of a helmet Mount option for the headlight?
I stand over my front truck, so top mount is a no go. And im fwd belt drive so under the deck would be blocked by motors…

1 Like

I’d be happy to design one but it would have to be universal to make it worth it; where exactly would a light mount to on a helmet?

1 Like

You probably want to use some strong 3M double-sided adhesive. Kinda like a gopro mount. That way people can put it where they like on their helmet.
Lots of guys like to put them on the top of their helmet but those of us with Tsg pass can’t because the visor wouldn’t be able to open.

1 Like

Interesting… That’s not a bad idea; we could add a small flexible radius of curvature so it can flex to different helmets and use some 3M command strip tape to attach it; so it can be removed eventually. I’ll see if I can get on that and get a prototype working.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks dude.
Come down to eugene for some testing lol

2 Likes

Hell even if you just made the light so it would attach to a GoPro mount we could just use GoPro mounts that already have the adhesive on them. And then we would be able to adjust the angle of the light fairly easily.

3 Likes

Hey there, love the lights and ease of mounting. Any plans for a model that would work with mountainboard deck nose and tip angles?

2 Likes

Yes!!!

I am glad someone asked about this because one of my Beta testers @Dirt_Bag suggested this as I know a lot of mountain boards have this feature.

The primary issue is that the angle can change between boards so it is hard to know how high I need to elevate the lights in order to get the right position; with that being said would you like to help me with that?

I will need a bit of information about what board you have and an angle of inclination I need to make. I can approximate that but I will need a bit of trig info (height vertically from the lower truck bolts to tip of board, and length from lower truck bolts to tip of board horizontally) and hopefully a picture so I can get an idea of what it should look like.

If you can get me that info I should be able to make a prototypes you can buy, then when any final tweaks finish I’ll ship you a final version free of charge.

2 Likes

Also I am planning on making a prototype of this soon. I am planning on using command strips currently, but I do have a gopro mount I can experiment with. Ideally I would use 3M VHB tape but that stuff is damn near permanent so unless you think it’s safe for helmets if someone really wanted to remove it I will stick to something that can be removed.

1 Like

I would make a standard of 15 and 30° for street cruiser and true mtb. I have a colt 90 constellation currently, 20 degree. I’m eyeing a Dylan Warren II though which is 30. I also have a hummie at 0 degrees. All bases covered. Great work!

1 Like

I’ll get right to it then. Would you say the distance from the front bolts of the trucks to the lip of the boards isn’t much different than standard boards?

Correct. Here’s a few photos of my 15 degree deck. Note the shredlight mount that’s pointed the wrong way, doing nothing.

1 Like

Here is an update; just whipped up this prototype. I am going to eventually make a new thread for this, but for now this is where it lives. It allows for angling horizontally 15 degrees either direction, but not over so you don’t have to worry about it moving out of any useful angle.

I realized something really neat about 3d printing these; the curved plate that would have VHB or command strips on it can be submurged in near boiling water for ~10 seconds, then pressed against wherever it would be mounted to get a Perfect conforming fit to the surface. It could essentially fit any helmet, ever. You’d get the VHB/command strips separately and attach them after you conformed it to the helmet and you’d be golden.

Added some support bits for swag and street cred :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The moment you get a 15 degree truck mountable version prototyped please let me know. I have a 3d printer and can test fit whatever you throw my way.

Roger that; sorry for the delay I’ve been on vacation at Lake Shasta CA for the past few days.

I’ll have a prototype this weekend I can shoot over to you.

Also an update; the helmet mount clip works well; I just need to test it on a helmet and I can start selling them. I am settling on VHB tape (same stuff that GoPro’s use) for an adhesive atm.

2 Likes

Psh no rush at all friend. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

1 Like

I’ve got a helmet you can test it on lol

1 Like

Ok, i’ve got a prototype printed. I adjusted a few things but its not there yet obviously. I need to reduce the angle from ~15 to like 5 degrees, its currently too much. The flexible mounting “pad” works well and I think it will have no problem with adjusting to different helmets, and the stress is being put into tension along the layer lines as opposed to perpendicularly to them (assuming you strike the light from the front) so it feels pretty strong.

I’ll PM you an stl to print and test. You can adhere it any way you want just to test fitment, but I wouldn’t do anything permanent for obvious reasons.

4 Likes

Damn that looks great man.

Im gonna end up wanting two.
One for each side of my helmet.

1 Like

That looks great but if I’m not mistaken that looks like it attaches to a helmet. I’ve been talking about a front truck mounted version for mountainboard deck tip angles.

Examples:

My 15° tipped deck
11101%20-%20MBS%20Colt%2090%20Deck%20-%20Main

A standard 30° tipped deck
mbscomp95deck207

It wouldn’t take much modification from your flat deck flashlight baseplate… Just add a 15° wedge to the bottom. If you use solidworks, I can tweak the model myself (if you’re cool with it of course)!