Illegal versus legal esk8 world wide

The funny thing about California is electric skateboards are technically allowed in certain places where skateboards are legally banned. For example skateboarding is illegal in San Francisco after sunset— but not electric skateboarding. They’re technically “electrically motorized boards” — not “skateboards.”

7 Likes

fucking eh… Germany is a god damn Joke. If they legalise esk8 in 2020 feel free to send me a can of surströmming so i can try it as a lost bet.

Good example for its incompetence: My city planned and built a underpass/“tunnel”? (here is the actual photo of it)

Well the cost were set at 2.5 million. In the end they payed 3.6 Million because they swapped gross and net.

Not to speak of the BER.

10 Likes

Are there no limitations on the power of a board? Even scooters are limited to 500w in Germany :weary:

But cars can go 400km/h on the autobahn, no problem :rofl:

4 Likes

here’s a huge loophole… “averaging” less than 1000w… and 20mph on “level” ground when the vehicle is powered “solely” by a propulsion system… it doesn’t mention slopes or when its partially human powered…

so basically any prohibition against “skateboards” doesn’t apply to “electrically motorized boards” and as long as you “average” less than a 1000w and aren’t on perfectly level paved road, or are partially powered by human propulsion (because the speed limitation only applies to boards powered “solely” by a “propulsion system”), then there’s no speed limitation.

5 Likes

400km/h isn’t technically unrealistic. A bugatti veyron can reach a top speed of 430km/h (267mp/h) and he is absolutely street legal. He can totally drive that fast on the autobahn and its still legal.

I know its a big stretch but just sayin’

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant. It is absolutely possible and legal. But electric scooters are limited to 500w. Even though you need a registration, number plate and insurance.

1 Like

This is so not well thought out. Why would you take the average power for such a law? If you want to protect the public it clearly should only be of interest what a board can do peak. The rest is even worse. But good for us I think…

1 Like

it’s a well thought out loophole. so basically if your board is designed to be able to be pushed, even slightly, there’s no limitation on speed as long as during the ride you “average” less than 1000w in california, according to a plain reading of the law.

5 Likes

But does that make sense for a law? I am not sure…

i just found this— you aren’t supposed to go over 15mph in california…

…so as long as it’s capable of being pushed, and during rides you “average” less than 1000w, there’s no speed limitation to the design, but you aren’t “supposed” to go over 15mph

4 Likes

So basically sensorless boards are legal if you need to kick to start them? Averaging less than 1000W shouldn’t be an issue at all unless you plan on cruising at 40mph+ (64km/h+)

4 Likes

The classification makes sense to some point too though

Traditional skateboards are normally more destructive, yknow, the “sk8tr” crowd has a reuptation to grind their boards/trucks on public flat surfaces. Electric skateboards can’t really do that. And besides I would feel much safer if an esk8tr with brakes was skating down the hills of san fran rather than a push board

Also as for the 15mph… you’re “supposed to” drive 65 on the freeway

Everyone knows the minumum freeway speed in CA is like 75

3 Likes

BUT, you dont need an insurance for an ebike that can go up to 30kmh.

2 Likes

That fun at 400 km/h lasts only 10 minutes. :rofl:
Then the gas tank is empty

3 Likes

Or the tires are done :sweat_smile:

Where did you find this info? As far I knew I thought we we’re kind of a gray area and esk8s in particular was never adressed. I cop catches you, I thought it was kinda up to him/her weither to class it as an e-bike or not

Not trying to call you out or anything, just wanna stay informed :slight_smile:

Trafikverkets web page about e-scooters. As there are no specific classification for them, they are matched to the category of which requirements are fulfilled. So for e-scooter/esk8 this would fall under an e-bike in most cases as the tier above that requires proper brakes.

If it doesn’t match the requirements of any specific group it’s uncategorized and as such is not allowed in public areas.

Then again, this is just based on information regarding the e-scooter that is in the exact same situation.

1 Like

Cool. Until they ban all these damn rental scooters I’ll be blasting through the streets.

1 Like

The 250W limit is pretty harsh though, but I assume they won’t really care about that one but rather that you just don’t drive like an idiot like all the rental scooter drivers.

3 Likes

yeah or them road rage motherfuckers in their expensive mercedes or porsche race cars going 300kmh (very safe in germoney compared to eskate)

1 Like