ICE CRUSHER | 16ply HOLYPRO | 4W chain drive MTB | 4x 6374 170kV APS | quad ESCAPE | Steering damper

I thought the same thing! When I checked however it looked like it would be a close fit with bbecasue the Superstar mounting holes are a good distance out from the center and might be an issue. IDK the measurement of the pattern though, I only eyeballed it. Perhaps a sub 30 tooth sprocket will do the job. If you make progress on that, I want in!

1 Like

Didn’t thought about that.
That could definitely be an issue but could be solved with some kind of adapter.
Let’s see, Russian summer is very far for me now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

dayyumm
whats the width of that large tire? :o

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like

Do you have a link for these 10” tires? Looks like a beast with them

3 Likes

Crazy

1 Like

Sure

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bE5mwypU

There are lot of different profiles of them available. Just search for 10“ wheels and make sure the inner diameter is not more than 100mm

2 Likes

Thanks, and they fit on standard Trampa and MBS wheels right? Your is Servisas?

2 Likes

@Pedrodemio you need 9“ hubs to fit them. Mine 3DS yes. Trampa 9“ Megastar or MBS fivestar should fit them as well.

3 Likes

How is the noise from the chains vs the noise from the gear drives? Is there a significant difference?

2 Likes

Chains are louder for sure. Not so much over straight cut gears, but vs. helical gears its definitely louder.
The more you drive them the louder they get, so you understand by the noice when you need to clean and oil them.

6 Likes

What would you say are the benefits of chain vs gear be belt drive? Currently building a colab but with an HS11 enclosure from eboosted so it won’t be a true eMTB build

3 Likes

Belt is light, cheap and silent but either has a lot of drag or your belts might slip. It also can happen that your belts pop while driving in snow or dirt (enclosed versions like the trampa enclosed belt drive will for sure don’t have that)

Gears are a great option if you already have motor mounts. Chains and sprockets are not expensive. Especially if you have an opportunity to drill out your own wheel sprockets you can get the parts really cheap.
Chains are solid and I like how direct the response is. If you break you break, no belt slipping, nothing. Same while accelerating.
Downside, they loud, you have less clearance because the wheel sprockets are big (low kV motors could change that thou) and it’s no fun if a small stone get stuck inbetween of the chain and the sprocket. Don’t ask from where I know :sweat_smile: they usually as well a bit more heavy, but if you get sprockets like the ones from etoxx for example than the weight difference to gears is not really much.

Gears are a topic for there own.
Nowadays there are quite some options out.
Big, small, heavy, light, straight cut, helical, cheap and expensive.
I think the main advantage is the enclosed drive. So you don’t need to worry about any shit getting in your drive train.
On mini drives the clearance is just great, but gearing usually stops at 1:5 which might be too less for the one or the other.

So in short:

I think belt drives are really great for street board stuff or if you plan to build something super light for dirt park jumps.
Chains are a good and cheap upgrade if you already have motor mounts and want to get into a bit more hard terrain.
If you just start from scratch and you have the money, definitely go gear drive.

9 Likes

Ok, finally a bit time to write up some updates.
About the remote light control:
I don’t have a receiver in my battery box which is connected to any vesc, so I thought if I get one of those rc switched I can just place a third gt2b receiver in the box and connect it to the switch.
Unfortunately the switch doesn’t supply 5V so that idea didn’t work out.
Luckily I had a step down converter from an old project laying around. So I get power to the receiver and can switch the lights with channel 3 now. Very happy that it works. Didn’t wanted to cut a hole for the switch into the battery box.

Meanwhile I got my motors from China.
As i expected there was a lot to do with them.
First I checked if they work how they should.
Than cut the shaft on the backside of the bell and loctite the shaft screws. They where shocking lose…
As usual I opened the motors and did the full epoxy session. I found quite a lot lose windings, so the epoxy on the stator was definitely needed as well.

Today I as well received my balance charger.
Should be possible to charge 2x 12s with up to 15A. So the light white 12s7p plus two 12s 5Ah jump packs in a bit more than one hour only. Have high hopes about that one

11 Likes

Oh and i think i should be visible on the roads now :sweat_smile:

21 Likes

:smiley: what a beast !!! Nice work once again :+1: thx for all the photos :wink:

Can’t wait your riding feedback!

3 Likes

Thx a lot! Till I can take it out for a ride it probably will still take a bit. Not too much left to do, but life is busy at the moment and with one hour each evening things moving only slowly.
Hope end of the month I’m ready for the first test drive :pray::relieved:

3 Likes

Love all those lights and the deck! 12km range seems a bit short though. For such a fun board to ride wouldn’t you want to have it go for longer?

12km was the range before the 2019 winter rebuilding.
With the new battery box I should get 20-25km range which is totally fine for me.

3 Likes

Oh that’s perfect then!