I made a bet, and need your help to win it. MB build

We must have logged a couple hundreds rides… That is the realistic number for off road boards.
You can also do some maths and use a certain efficiency number, wind resistance, friction values and other parameters. Then you can calculate were you would end in average consumption.

https://vesc-project.com/calculators

1 Like

I get 20 Wh/km on a regular basis on my 5:1 9" tire but in general I’m implying systems can always be improved, things can always be lighter. Just seemed like a weirdly specific range to throw out.

1 Like

I also get 20, but I’m light, ride efficient and I do not have many hills in my way.
Rule of thumb seams to be 25-30 for most riders in average terrain. Some riders use a bit less, others a bit more. However, that is the realistic bandwidth of consumption. From there it is a minimal task to estimate the average drain. Of course we all want the best cells in our boards and personally I prefer high drain cells over low drain cells. Since we offer a pack that allows customers to choose the cells themselves, it is easy for the customer to purchase exactly what he wants.

1 Like

its not being wasted, its being used. My motors are set at 60A max on a 63100 motor so way below their maximum current rating and far from saturating the stators.

of course not, i wish my board used half the power but it doesn’t. This is just how much power is used when doing this kind of riding. yes i could ride slower or use a watt limit to reduce power but no one wants to do that when they are out to have fun.

Your equipment needs to be able to keep up with your power demands. there is no need to change your riding style to stay within the limits of your battery when you can just properly spec a battery that’s able to deliver what you need from it.

No shit. Some amazing insight you have there.

Im currently seeing over 65A peaks so to get less than 10A your suggesting that i need a pack that is 7p? and that is still in the kinda current range that the 48G would see serious sag. An 18s7p pack would be almost 1.8KWH and would weigh around 9KG, not exactly what most people want for a quick ride in the forest or on the common.

5 Likes

stop riding uphills mate

8 Likes

@Trampa im also curious to know if you’ve ever actually built a pack with Samsung 48G before recommending to customers because you obviously didn’t with P42A.

Id love to see some pics of a 48G pack if you’ve got it to hand . . .

2 Likes

Lol my entire area is hills, reasons I pull 30wh/mile on 2wd 6 inch wheels

I’m fully expecting 35-40wh/mile on my MTB when I finish it.

Reasons I picked p42a…

1 Like

So low :open_mouth:

1 Like

I mean that’s average over a whole ride though

I also ride under 30mph 80% of the time

Doesn’t feel that low when you compare to the 21wh/mile I was getting on urethane

2 Likes

Ohhh ok then that’s around what I get… depending on stops etc I get from 20-50wh/mi on GC

1 Like

Yeah I just got a new phone and forgot to take down my metr pin before switching, so I need to open my board and re-pair. I think all my data is in the cloud but… anyways

I think the biggest spike I’ve seen is upper 40’s. Probably from doing donuts in dirt or full throttling on hills

1 Like

:open_mouth: Mines… uhhh… close to 1000 :angry:

1 Like

I mean if you look at the graph though, it’s not actually.

It’s a calculation error, I would believe. Instantaneous current or something like that

1 Like

Yeah, it is, it happens from 0-1mph and provides a massive over calculation. Shua’s recent metr says 334,000 wh/mi in one point.
Happened in the same speeds my spike did and for the same timing etc.

4 Likes

Yeah you could probably fix that with a software filter to take out current spikes under 500ms or something but idk if it matters

2 Likes

If you assume it is 21700…

A 21700 has roughly 1.5 times the volume compared to 18650.
A 4000mAh 21700cell is roughly as energy dense as a 2600mAh 18650.

If you want a pack with high Amp output and low current output per cell, you could go for 18650 instead of 21700.

If we want to build a 21700 pack that can compete against a 18650 pack, we need to choose cells with a comparable energy density. 3000mAh 18650 compare to 4500mAh 21700.

The P42A has two advantages: It is available and it is quite cheap to buy. But it is not very energy dense. Still a very good choice for a pack that doesn’t aim at max energy per volume and weight.

1 Like

We built packs from many different cells including the P42A, Tesla model 3 cells, Samsung cell range, Sony Murata etc.
We will probably make some range test videos soon, using the same board, same electronics, same settings, same rider, same route but different cells.

A video for the 18650 pack with VTC6 cells is already up.

4 Likes

I’ll take that response :arrow_up: as “I didn’t read the question”

10 Likes

Due to its size it hasn’t been back-flipped yet, but it was quite promising on the test bench.

The beauty about this pack is: You can use any cell you like, based on price, availability, use case and ride style etc. Our customers have the choice…

2 Likes

IKR? What an odd response.

4 Likes