I made a bet, and need your help to win it. MB build

Trampa Powerfrall

I’d really like to see how the P42 fit is in the 2170 kit.

1 Like

Dave has made a pack yesterday, I can ask him to shoot a photo for you guys.
We also ordered 1K of those cells, so our UK customers can have pre-build packs from P42A.

2 Likes

Eggselent :grin:

1 Like

The continuous and pulsed power levels the board runs at can affect that comparison though. A more efficient 4000mAh 21700 power cell could be more energy dense than a less efficient 3000mAh 18650 energy cell at higher power levels. Have you run the tests to see where it might become something to take into account?

What cell(s) do you recommend for max energy per volume and weight?

Excellent! Will you be running the range tests at least twice for each cell to make sure you have identified and controlled all the variables?

If the two results differ by more than a little then at least a third run needs to be done in order to find out which of those first two runs is the “correct” one and which was influenced by charging variables, temperature, riding variables, etc.

How will you account for the effect of different temperatures between runs? Or the effect of any stops that can so easily occur when we ride outside? Or the shorter range you saw with the pack in the VTC6 range test video not being balanced as well as it could be?

…(deep sigh)…and everyone wonders why my testing takes so long…:grin:

I do realize that this takes a significant amount of time to do but it provides assurances that the tests are well controlled and that lets us use the results with confidence.

I want to thank you for your interest in providing the community this information! I am very much looking forward to your test results.

11 Likes

We will try to gather as much info about all the cells out there and hope fully VESC-Tool can then be fed with all the info, so that setup becomes easier and so that the pack can care better for your cells.
This will be long way, but worth it.

We all want the best cells, highest energy density and best performance under load…

And yes, obviously a saggy 3000mAh 18650 will give you less range than a 4000mAh 21700 with less sag. However, we have it our hands to choose the cells and we can use whatever we can purchase and afford… There are many ways to build a pack…
Energy per volume and weight is only two values… Depends on if your application is a power wall with 5K cells or a skateboard with 84 cells.
I bet a lot of us would like to use this one: grafik

Went we specifically taking about the 48G which is 21700?

It’s like you’ve forgotten all post context when you read a post and reply. You should probably get that looked at.

High amp and Low current? What you chatting about? Current is the unit for Amps so packs with high amp output and Low current output don’t exist.

I take it as “I don’t want to give an honest answer to the question”

1 Like

It’s about freaking out because I said “I would look into the Samsung 48g cells”.
A totally harmless statement, merely a recommendation.

Your business partner then came up with:

Trampa have realised their 21700 pack doesn’t fit the very popular P42a. Frank will tell you he has done extensive testing of his designs when in fact what that means is he asked one of the lads to back flip the board with the PCB’s in and signed it off.

Now instead of Frank admiting this he will reccomend the only other cells currently available based on some science that Frank has convinced himself is right so that he can actually post this crap with conviction. Its a pattern we have seen over and over again unfortunately.

BIG DRAMA ABOUT NOTHING, ACCUSATIONS, FALSE INFORMATION…

1 Like

Lol this sounds familiar….

6 Likes

It’s about people asking for advice and you confidently recommending something you’ve not ever tested. It happened with the p42a and now you’re doing it with the 48G.

Then when your called out on it, rather than re-evaluate your position, you double down and try to justify your statement any way you can.

Were not the ones posting from a company account.

If apex has statements to make on a matter then they will come from @ApexBoards. Otherwise were just guys that like to ride boards and want to help others make the best builds they can.

Our opinions are our own and I’m not accountable for what other users post.

5 Likes

Echo, Echo, Echo Echo…

Does this take the crown as the longest lasting and most ridiculous derail yet?

10 Likes

I don’t know have you read the thread about water bottles kinetic energy?

12 Likes

I have not, no. I’m interested though :thinking:

1 Like

Gawdamn we need some moderation up in this mf.

1 Like

Ok. Back to topic.

Bindings. As I said I’ve been snowboarding for years so I am quite familiar of the deck being tied to the feet.

Regarding mbs F5 i see that a heelstraps are sold separately. So I was wondering regarding pros/cons of heelstraps in emb world. I am a bit frightened of not being able to bail out if fully strapped…

Is it even possible to bail out with bindings without heelstraps?

1 Like

Always with heel straps. If you bail out with one foot only, the board can twist your leg.

2 Likes

If you crash you probably won’t be able to bail either way with or without heelstraps.

I ride without because i like to easily get in and out or jump off if needed without having to open anything.

EDIT: I ride with bindings but without heelstraps.

4 Likes

lol the way i interpreted this is that the whole pack has a high potential discharge, but each cell doesn’t need to contribute much to get there (ie many low discharge cells in large p groups to make 1 highish discharge pack)

the fact that trampa didnt point this out himself tho actually suggests he dosnt realize than an ampere is a unit of electrical current tho… :thinking: (lol)

I think its important that members of the electric eskateboard community are informed about basic electronics tho, so mby you should consider checking out this article @Trampa

https://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/electricity.html

heres the important part in case you dont have time to read it all:

3 Likes

I never used bindings and wasn’t planning on using any on the street board I’d mount them on an AT board tho.

I have Freeboard bindings I may consider for the street board, like Dr Mike. Just because I live on a hill and I am pretty sure the board would try to leave without me.

2 Likes

Sorry for the inaccuracy. Yes, high P-count pack. For example by using high discharge 18650 cells instead of lower discharge 21700 cells.

2 Likes