Hummie hubs Kickstarter

can i use 16s on these?

Depends how well the tires deal with the speed and subsequent centrifugal force. The risk is they fly off

3 Likes

oh wat, the motors won’t explode?

1 Like

The insulation on the magnet wire is the only voltage limit and it does something like 10,000 volts. The bearing speed has a limit but way before then the tires would fly off. Maybe glue the tires on if u plan to do beyond 35mph. I don’t know and I haven’t tested that fast.

4 Likes

:nauseated_face:

2 Likes

context. Further discussion in Derail Jail 2022 even though no [SERIOUS] tag

2 Likes

but surely the gauge of the wire dictates how many amps could be pushed through it safely

1 Like

Generally people think of epoxy and all adhesives as glue.

@zackoric its 15awg magnet wire in the motor. It can do a lot of current before it gets too hot. Then again “too hot” depends on who u ask and the motor components. Motors use n48sh magnets which are capable of 300f before start losing strength and 640f before permanently lose that strength

The magnet wire is the best and rare 230c rated so good at 230c for 30,000 hours I think it is. How many amps the wire can handle depends on how long those amps are flowing. I set to 100 amp motor and maybe a bit less battery always work fine for me and performs well.

4 Likes

magnets which are capable of 149°C before lose start loosing strength and 338°C before permanently loosing that strength

3 Likes

Losing. :laughing:

If ur gunna distinguish between glue and epoxy I think u will be on ur own

1 Like

An important thing for builders to learn is that epoxy isn’t the same as single-part glues. Nobody is born knowing this, and I wish I’d figured it out sooner. Just trying to help the world.

1 Like

I generally use two-part polyurethane adhesives as they come with such different properties and duro. Epoxy is often thought of as the strongest but it’s so hard it can be brittle and not ideal for a lot of things and a bit of flex is often best.

I just glued some plastic panel on my gf car that came off and she insisted on epoxy since known as strongest and I was telling her she shouldve used something soft n flexible. It came apart.

Telling those unaware and I know u know ur glues Brian.

I’ve probably used more one-part epoxy than anything else. Heat cured.

1 Like

I’m looking to make these bad boys more turny, I was thinking about using Boardnamics Split Angle Precision Baseplates and riptide busings to get the job done. Any thoughts?

Also, do you know what pivit cups the current baseplates use? I would like to order some riptide replacements.

2 Likes

@RipTideSports what size cups do Paris trucks use? These use the same size as Paris’

1 Like

Paris trucks use various ones: RipTide Sports Inc.

1 Like

So any idea which ones I need to buy?

2 Likes

Anybody interested in a set? What’s the going rate? I’ve been out of the game for a while and don’t see myself ever getting around to a Hummie hub build, sadly.

Still unopened in the box from Hummie
Will open up and provide some pictures. Wanted to put the feeler out now while thinking about it.

3 Likes

The was a hummie kickstarter set that went for $450 a while back.

It took a few months to sell. Not many people are building 83mm urethane boards these days. All you need is 1 stoked person though.

Hummie Hubs + extra wheels for sale SOLD - Esk8 Parts Market / New Parts for Sale - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

3 Likes

Someone needs these and either a choo choo or haya from me.

2 Likes