Hummie Factory Sample Deck - Revival Project

A while ago I bought a @hummieee Factory Sample (if I understood correctly this is one of the early Hummies) deck from @moon. It came with a single stack enclosure from @BigBen.

Not gonna lie, it was in bad shape. I’ve put it aside and forgot about it. While cleaning some stuff I have stumbled upon it again and decided that a deck with such a legendary status in esk8 world should be given another life.

This is a story of reviving a piece of electric skate history :smiley:

How it looked like when I got it:

It had a few issues, the deck itself has been shaved a bit so the loop key and charging port could fit in, also the threaded inserts was in bad shape.

I have removed everything, filled it with epoxy, wait to cure and of course level it flush with a lot of sanding…

Next step was to apply skin to the deck and enclosure. My first time doing the fabric on enclosure, it came up much better than expected.

Since this is a bottom side of the deck, scratches are inevitable, so I went with matte finish. This is by far the most labor intense part of this journey so far. 320 roughness sandpaper, then 1000 and 2000. last 2 was done by hand.

Threaded inserts are next to be done, I have added one more screw on all sides so the raster of the holes would change. That way I will be drilling into the fresh wood instead of risking to drill into the old holes filled with epoxy. Also I got a little creative using the laser to align the holes better:

IMG_8379

I found this method as absolutely easiest and most precise for inserting threaded inserts so far.

With that done, bottom side is finished. Once I am done with the top side, I’ll do a round or two of additional sanding to make it blend better.

Stay tuned for the upper side of the deck. I have a really fun idea that I will be trying to accomplish in the following days.

51 Likes

Killing it always!

5 Likes

fuckin wizard

6 Likes

I need more diy build pics with frickin lasers. Also, doing skatan’s work on a piece of Esk8 foundation.

9 Likes

Dang dude. That’s fuckin mint. Nice work! Great project!

1 Like

hands down the best skin job

wait no, that came out wrong

4 Likes

Best Hummie job in awhile?

3 Likes

Everyone deserves more hummie jobs

6 Likes

So pretty! I like the insert installation method, definitely more precise than a hand drill

1 Like

Is there a medical term for people who pay that much attention to the parts that no one even sees? :wink:

Stunning work, bro. Epic artwork as well. That’s your own, right? Love the colour coordination on the enclosure bolts (and the tyres) too. It’s all about the details. I can’t wait to see what sort of party is going to kick-off on the top side! :star_struck:

Can you expand a bit on the laser technique? Are you using a couple of lasers to mark out the insert locations or is that a function of your drill press or something?

I’ve been considering using something like this ceramic coating on my decks to help protect against scratches. It’s pricey and it probably won’t do much against heavier damage but I expect if it is enough for a car, it’ll be enough for quite a few boards.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot :muscle:

Regarding lasers, I’ve used 2 of them one is hanged to the ceiling making sure that the holes are marked in a straight line. I am not so good at precise measurement so this is just to make sure it’s nice and in line.

The other one is implemented in a press drill. It’s just to make sure that you know where the drill bit will hit. It’s super useful and helpful to make sure you are drilling at the exact point you have marked previously.

Top of the deck is in the process. Here is a little hint what’s cooking.

I am trying to achieve a 3D top layer that a have modeled by printing 3rd dimension as a insert that will go beneath the fabric.

This is design for the top coat.

And lights… Oh the lights should be gorgeous. Update coming soon hopefully

17 Likes

This is now my favourite thread in here! :alien: :smiley:

3 Likes

I foresee a time when deciding the BOTY will be an agonizing matter of selecting which of your recent boards was the best. This is shaping up to be an easy contender!

Ps: is that artwork all your own? It’s epic.

5 Likes

Hahah thanks.

No the artwork is bought. I wish I was capable of drawing at this level :joy:

To be precise. Just the main amblem is bought. Then I’ve manipulated it in many ways to get the top and bottom to look like this. So it’s a joint venture I guess.

2 Likes

Looks really great. Excited to see the 3D top layer.

What type of fabric is used for the inlay? Is it a certain type of printing? Ive done some pouring paint jobs and have really wanted to try the fabric approach.

2 Likes

My favorite deck ever receiving the treatment it deserves

2 Likes

Making the mold :muscle:

17 Likes

13 Likes

More! Show us more!

2 Likes

Looking good. Waiting insert now to cure. I’ve put it on top of the deck so it could form to the curvature of the deck. Once cured it will go beneath the print.

12 Likes