Hummie Factory Sample Deck - Revival Project

This is next level cool! :smiley:

2 Likes

Looking sweet, bro!

Will it need a bit of filler or sanding or something to help smooth around the edges, do you think?

What’s the moulding made out of btw?

Fingers crossed the fabric will pull tightly into those cavities! :crossed_fingers: It worked well around the enclosure so it should be good, I guess.

3 Likes

Super cool shit!
Are you going to use the mold as a negative to press the fabric into it?

4 Likes

Actually I will be printing a frame that will go around the insert, To stop light spill. Yes it will have lights all around shining through the epoxy. it will be printed in a way that will make a “slope” to make transition from the deck to the epoxy insert smooth and hold the light strip around it.

Mould is made out of latex rubber. It is not a best solution since it tends to shrink. Silicone would be a better solution I think.

I don’t think so. I will wait epoxy to almost cure so the fabric will stick to it really hard once applied. Anyway I am planning using a thick piece of hard foam to press it down over the skin until ts cured.

4 Likes

Waaaa!!! This’ll revive the dead, let alone an old Hummie! Bravo, fella! :clap:

1 Like

Back from the holidays.

I did a quick test fit of the lights and a 3D Printed insert

I have learned 2 things:

1. This will look sick
  2. Molds shrink while curing.

As you can see from the picture the insert is roughly 10% smaller then the print itself. So there is no room for a cutout to be placed above the insert to restrain the light spill around.

So, on to the making a new mold with different material and I will make it 5% larger from the start.

Wish me luck.

18 Likes

This is awesome.

For lights and epoxy, it is very tough to get everything to line up properly like what you vision. Instead, I’d think of how to diffuse the edges of the light so it fades out instead of a hard line, it might look better that way. One way perhaps is to use epoxy with a translucent white tint, or have the deck cavity be sanded in an angle? Just something to think about :thinking:

9 Likes

My idea is following:

Once the insert is big enough I will print another thin cutout in a black fillament, glue it to the print from the back side and then put everything on top of the printed translucent insert. That way it should be good… at least in my mind…

We will se how it goes\

Anyhow this will be interesting journey

2 Likes

@EreTroN you are a true artist.

holy Sk8an.

this is beauty incarnate.

1 Like

Where do you guys score fabric/skin for you deck?
Nice build!

1 Like

Mine is printed at friends printing company. I send him the design. He prints it. I but hum a beer or two. And that’s it :joy:

3 Likes

I saw these at a festival and I thought of you :wink:

4 Likes

@EreTroN didnt you finish this build? :grinning:BOTY nomination from me if you did . I feel
Like I’ve seen pictures of this thing skinned and rolling

1 Like