Hoyt Puck sending full brake/reverse signals after being smashed

@JJHoyt give this man new guts for the puck!

@GeraldSwerdfegger will respond and, if necessary, get on FaceTime with you to resolve.

Yes this sounds like a broken/faulty puck to me. Shoot us an email at hoytskate@hoytskate.com and we’ll get it figured out. Or just PM me.

1 Like

I sent you an email, thanks!

Not sure if I understood this correctly but the PPM values of the puck are not symmetric. max is 2ms, min is 1.2ms and neutral is 1.5ms. If you are setting your PPM values at max 2ms, neutral 1.5, min 1; I could see how you would get this problem.

1 Like

I let the app configure it.
An try and set all values like curve and ramping to same or 0.
IE 1 to 1 I believe.

UPDATE

A solder joint on the potentiometer was broken. And then right before sending it out to Hoyt I plugged the receiver in backwards (like an idiot).

Despite my stupidity, they fixed the issue and are sending it back today. Hoyt support really is unrivaled. Can’t wait to be using this again.

10 Likes

nice you gotta print a bruce homie - its the truth (also I want those finger loops for mine, so hoping you can print those too :kissing_smiling_eyes:)

1 Like

UPDATE 2

USPS lost the package about 2 weeks ago :disappointed:

Update 3:

I completely forgot about this but I need to make sure that anyone reading this knows that @JJHoyt sent me a new remote and reciever when mine was lost in the mail. He even had it engraved again. What a bro.

14 Likes

If you have a puck and haven’t reflowed your pot solder joints yet - definitely do it asap.
Mine tried to kill me yesterday with random brake/reverse signals at full speed :anguished:

3 Likes

I think getting a bunch of likes on this post recently, just wanted to say that when I showed up to carve PDX with another remote having the same issues, Pete from Hoyt soldered up a fix on the spot.

New pucks have a couple of changes that help reduce the chance of this happening.

3 Likes

Anecdotal warning: Ive seen plenty of failed puck pots locally. None of them were epoxied.
The one that was epoxied(mine) has been smashed and crashed heeps, to the point of fishing everything out of the adjacent waist tall grass after stack. It’s missing partial resistors and hasn’t skipped a beat otherr than no charge indicator lights(blank but goes green when full).

The local failures have been a healthy mix of pot leg failures and internal pot failures so while epoxy helps heaps, the pot can still go bad.

F

2 Likes

What is going on in this thread?
And why did my puck receipt show metroboard instead of hoyt?

1 Like

@xsynatic please move everything from post 109 and onward (including this post), to the thread linked below. All the flagged posts are off topic, but it is a valuable conversation about battle hardening and potentiometers.

Hoyt Puck sending full brake/reverse signals - Esk8 Electronics / Guides, Support, & General Questions - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

9 Likes

The irony that this is my thread is just too much :rofl:

4 Likes

Puck with no :b:one.

:b:oneless, if you will

1 Like

so all those things were flagged in another thread then moved here. can the be unhidden now?

Only if the OP edits them or @longhairedboy or @jamie wave a magic wand on them

1 Like

That would entail the existence of mods. That or go and edit your posts and they reappear
Damnit, jinx

I’ll wave my magic copy paste wand one more time

8 Likes