How useful are impact pads?

Yes, was used as a land wind surfer. It’s old, could be a challenge to get it powered up…

2 Likes

I like challenges, should be fun dude

The ends look close to 15degrees.
It will have the turning radius of a truck.

It has the turning radius of a truck…
Well perhaps the tyres might be of use…?

1 Like

I am sure with a clever use of angled risers (top and bottom) and angled redrilled truck holes it could be made to work.

I’m gonna keep adding washers until it turns…

2 Likes

I’ve got the same board. Deck has 20° tips, turns like a truck. With 5 & 10° wedges from @Nowind, no problem. 35°/25° would probably be a good split. Truck hangers same basic shape as Matrix 1 so mounts should be easy, but has different top plates, and should take egg shocks or dampas easily. Wheel hubs will fit 9 or 10" tires, extra wide like MBS 5 stars. Wheel pulleys can be tricky due to 3 hole pattern, but 65t scooter pulleys can be found easily on Aliexpress, and drilled to fit.
No problem. Back on topic now.

5 Likes

Makes perfect sense, @Vanarian. That’s pretty much what I was researching when I came across the flex sensor approach. How can we make it happen, man!?

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be better accomplished by putting a shock sensor in the remote. It would cut off power whether you fall or drop the remote. There are many options. Here is one.

Always remember though, every doodad you add increases the chances of unforeseen interactions and adds one more part that can fail.

1 Like

I broke my ankle in April from esk8ing but I will be riding again in a few weeks thankfully. I bought similar ankle braces to use on both feet.

I also bought these Puma high tops for extra support/protection. I’m still nervous but hopefully the combo helps.

2 Likes

Been thinking about picking a set of these up. D30 and less bulk. Anyone have these?

3 Likes

I don’t like the look of the angle on that plate. Come down on that awkwardly and it might wrench your knee around.

1 Like

I have not tried those but I have a set of D30 hip pads in armored jeans and I just received a super lightweight motorcycle jacket with D30 in the elbows, shoulders, and back. I love the way they feel when you are moving. So far I have only taken a low speed spill on a hip pad but I walked away without a bruise. I don’t know about your kneepads but thumbs up on the D30.

1 Like

I’m with ya there, but if you take more than a cursory look, the knee is covered in velcro, allowing you to change orientation of the puck or change to a completely different puck altogether. With that said, they still aren’t the perfect solution but look like a possibility.

@deckoz I’ve been looking at those options but the TSG’s are just so damn big. I’m trying to find something with less bulk to it.

1 Like

I tried a number of pairs. These are my favorite. They still won’t fit under a lot of my work pants so I use G-forms also.

How do you like the GForm? I was thinking about picking up a set.

I guess I never felt I was “skimping on knees” by looking at other options. You are partially right, I do want something that looks semi decent while still offering proper protection. If those TSG pads are literally the only thing available, I’d gladly wear them but we all know that is not the case.

If I were given two options that provide satisfactory levels of protection I’ll take the less bulky of the two in just about every situation. I do not believe I am alone there.

Sounds to me like you’re afraid there might be other options aside from your recommendations instead of promoting discussion. :smiley:

Preach Esk8 jeebus! Im trying to fo with the option that offers the best protection. I already look cool riding an esk8…:sunglasses:

1 Like

They fit under my work pants. They are not all that comfortable. I have never taken a big spill in them. I pretty much know every crack on the ride to work and back so it’s not a huge risk other than getting run over in a bike lane and knee pads probably wouldn’t help me a lot with that. I don’t wear them any other time I ride.

1 Like

Mine have saved me from some really bad injuries both slide and impact, the bit I like best is that part that curls round the outside I find it gets hit the most

Edit: I have fallen and NOT NOTICED I even hit them until I’m home taking them off :slight_smile:

2 Likes