How useful are impact pads?

I have been wearing Hard knees up until recently. I had a stack in Paris and fucked my knee up good because the pad got pushed down in the fall so I have swapped to Leatt 3df soft pads and I am in love. Haven’t stacked it with them yet but its only a matter of time

You were wearing the wrong type of knee pads then.
Get yourself some TSG SK8 DHP , thank me later

5 Likes

These feel really good padding wise and position wise but are pretty damn bulky. They also force you to keep your knees in a bent position.
I wanted them but the forcing of position put me off as well as the size of it.
If that’s not a let down for you then they are a good choice.

I chose to go with a pair of triple eight street knee pads. They’re okay and less bulky and don’t really force your knee to bend.

https://triple8.com/product/street-knee/

The tsg dhp ones might probably not force you to bend your knee as much after some wear.

That’s the type I was using. Now I am using these

1 Like

Sorry mate, what I linked and what you were using are miles apart.
Ask @deckoz too

Like I said I will know when I fall :sweat_smile:

The hard shells were just not effective, I like these leatt ones - I think they will be ok

Probably missed the boat on it now but TSG provides the certification test report via that link, which describes, relevantly for you, how far the pad will move on impact. :grin:

I was pretty chuffed that the POC’s were Level 2 certified, but turns out that’s for motorcycle use, not skateboarding, like the TSGs. I hadn’t noticed how badass those TSGs were.

And having said all that, I will admit that I’m a complete sucker for Leatt gear.

Edit: What were the hard knees you were wearing anyway? Probably good to mention so that other people avoid or upgrade.

2 Likes

I think most of the hard knee pads are designed for skate parks. Esk8 wipeout trajectories are a lot more horizontal than vertical when compared with skate park trajectories. Mountain bike pads probably make more sense.

2 Likes

Exactly this. That’s what happened with me - ended up supermanning off the board and the pad got pushed down and I fucked my knee up.

1 Like

Many hard pads will do that.
Not the SK8 DHP, believe me.
I speak from experience, lots of experience :smirk:

2 Likes

For ankle I use a clone of this ankle support:

It has hard plastic on the sides and the foot only bends front/back

4 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve found that falling from a very low position has very little impact at any speed. I fell at 30+mph and I had no abrasion injuries because of my lazy rolling hoodie. But I did tear my pectoral muscle and rotator cuff because of the way I fell

With low impact and low abrasion, did the low position force you into a roll?

Based on no data whatsoever, I’m currently concluding that with hard armor, trying to slide is ideal.
But with soft or no armor, rolling is best.

Doing the superman: not ideal

2 Likes

@brown5tick I was more thinking about a over the thumb trigger mounted on back of your hand so you have free range of movement for your fingers without risking accidental accelerate / brake command ; and a push-button under the puck so when you pat the ground it presses & you go dead zone / free wheel.

Not sure it makes sense in words.

1 Like

Yeah superman sucked balls man. I did it on the Thursday night testing the track at the esk8 cup racing @BigBen - couldn’t speak for 10 mins haha

4 Likes

That brought a wry grin to my face just now.
I remember thinking “that Lee is quite fast”
Then thinking “wow, he flys real good too”

9 Likes

More speed than skill I am afraid mate. Have made some investment into getting the trampa to turn nicer though

Btw thanks for trying to look after me after that.

3 Likes

Trampa shmampa. I got me a new ride today…

5 Likes

Looks well loved mate