How useful are impact pads?

LOL they look just like mine, even my TSG logo has taken similar abuse :smile:

2 Likes

We are trying to save you guys from an expensive mistake.

4 Likes

That’s totally fair guys, and I’m not saying the TSG is a bad option, just that it is pretty bulky. I’m just exploring other options before I settle on anything.

I appreciate the wisdom and discussion.

if they are not bulky then they will suck and more than likely move when you want them not too the most!

1 Like

Finally, these knee pads can be worn and taken off without taking off your shoes etc.
I use them when commuting too and it is a lot faster than something like D3O or similar.

1 Like

@taz @deckoz it looks like we we all live close together and just took shots of each of us holding the same one :smile:

EDIT: notice that little ‘scar’ on there… that small stone alone would have taken away my ability to cope with another fall, its the re-injury protection i feel most with these

4 Likes

Shyyyyyd, I was hit by a quad cab pickup truck…I hit the truck and ground hard. My tsg knee, elbow pads and helmet saved my bootaay…big time. I was in the air like the movies. I’m a big fan of protection hands down.

8 Likes

I fell in March and was not going very fast but I fell in a dumb way and went down on my side really hard. So I broke the top of my humerus. I had knees pads on. Wrist guards and soft elbow pads. And a helmet. I don’t think the soft elbow pad did much good. I then graduated to the full RoboCop look .or as I like to call it the Tron look. First with a cheap knock off jacket. But more recently with the Fox Titan. I had fall probably going 15-20 mph a couple months back and did this slide roll thing. I think the flatlands Knox gloves worked and the slide pads on the jacket worked. So I’m a fan of the hard slide pads on the jacket. Trouble is now it is getting cold so I will have to put a jacket over it. I also got a motorcycle jacket that has the CE pads but no hard slide pads. But haven’t got to test it yet…

6 Likes

Glad your ok, was hoping for sound. Did they stop and see if your ok or just take off?

1 Like

Damn dude, that’s crazy. Glad you’re OK. Did the person stop after they hit you and did that cop happen to see it? Looks like the truck sent over a double yellow to try to pass you? Damn idiot drivers.

1 Like

Don’t forget the hillbilly shorts

2 Likes

He stopped I did the police report thing. I cut the sound because of the language. I was heated big time. A lot of f bombs

1 Like

I think the cop saw me…if he didn’t that’s even worse. Yep crossed double yellow line to pass at an intersection. Then the cop says “are you suppose to be in the road on those things”

I’m like OMG are you serious…and by the way I’m just fine after being hit by a TRUCK thx. drivers of cars creep me the fuck out in my city.

2 Likes

I have to disagree. I’m a former FF and paramedic and I used to also do EMS for dirt bike racing.

Abrasion injuries are a substantial part of the injury to falls. It’s true that padding has limitations above certain speeds. However the way you fall is a big piece of it. If you fall and slide on the ground at 30 mph without hitting anything, your fall distance is 5 ft, that’s what the pads take. There’s a massive injury pattern that follows from the sudden deceleration of your body as it makes contact with the concrete and usually tumbles. This is an area wear materials tailored to abrasion reduction can improve the injury pattern. Now, if you hit a truck at 30 mph, your pads won’t help no matter how big they are.

Before i talk about why I think the padding is worth it…
There’s one caveat to all of this, padding and safety equipment should be used for the activities they are intended for. Otherwise, you’re in untested grounds for its capabilities. In addition, buckles, clasps and straps are rated for certain conditions like everything else. That could mean a clasp fails compromising the integrity of the safety device or it could also mean that the rider is injured as a result of the attachment points to the protection equipment.

Okay, having said that. I think any protective equipment is a plus. Even pants are an improvement over shorts. Shoes are a must.
Protective gear should fit snugly.

I struggle with this. I use my board for 100% of my commuting. Looking for some low profile jackets and hoodies to improve protection more.

Safety cannot be discussed without also talking about convenience. We are humans, if we’re not comfortable, don’t find it easily adaptable to our lives, don’t like the way we look in it- well, we will skip wearing it. But safety equipment you like because you want to wear it every tine. Not just on the group rides when you gear up. The best safety equipment is expensive because it will do it’s job while keeping comfort, ergonomics and ease of use high priorities.

Just my .02

9 Likes

Fallacious title on the thread, and should be changed?

1 Like

+1 for these.

I’m still healing up from a crash where I had a Protec kneepad slide down to my shin during a slide out. They were toast so I replaced them with TSG SK8 DHPs.

Encountered a power cut out recently while accelerating last week. Wearing my new TSG pads, slid it out, got up and dusted myself off and kept going, unscathed. Very similar fall/crash/slide out circumstances, just different gear.

8 Likes

Got these Leatt dual axis knee/shin guard along with some Fox Launch elbows. Really saved me a load of impact or rash damage here. Hip didn’t feel great but at least the thick denim kept road rash off

6 Likes

Guys.

We fall too much.

5 Likes

Attempted to learn the EUC yesterday. Shifty little fuker kept getting my ankle when I fall off

4 Likes

That’s what you get, wheel traitor.

1 Like