How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC

Yeah any VESC will run senseless motors. There are a few control options that can be configured in the software. Sensorless, HFI, VSS, Silent HFI (not tested on this controller) and of course hall sensors/encoders can be selected if the motor supports it.

2 Likes

hey can someone compile a FW tomorrow when Vedder release ver6

1 Like

I created a pull request to the VESC project. Hopefully it gets approved and pulled in, then it would just be part of the tool.

2 Likes

This has been successfully merged with the VESC project! Once the new firmware 6.0 release is out (new tentative date of 12/7) it will be included in the VESC tool. Anyone who has loaded the custom firmware will be able to update directly.

With the V1, the firmware update will work with custom firmware or the firmware it was shipped with since the hardware name is the same.

With the V2/Aluminum PCB version, the firmware will still need to be loaded manually the first time since it ships with 75_300_R2, and needs to be on 75_100_V2. After that it can be updated in the VESC tool in 6.0 and all future versions.

6.0 also comes with the ability to downgrade firmware directly in the VESC tool. I’ll see if I can get the 5.2 and 5.3 bin files on his site so that option would be available as well.

I’ll update the main post with new instructions once it’s released.

Thanks to all those who helped test and tweak this firmware along the way!

4 Likes

@jaykup congratulations on having your code on VESC sources, it help us a lot!!

In the case anyone needs, I just got Flipsky 75100 working with the AS5047 magnetic encoder, I shared the results and what I had to do, here: youtube com / watch?v=OC0KvdqMl58

And just today, I tested on my EBike and seems perfect, a very soft startup: youtube com / watch?v=EL9Jek3_hDg

Does anyone have the schematic to this Flipsky 75100? or at least know what is the reference schematic??

I wish to use this controller on my EBike but a need a way to make it very low power, to avoid discharging the battery while the EBike is stored possible several months on the garage. Does anyone know a way to put VESC in low power mode?? any MODs to do on VESC to get low power mode??

1 Like

Nice job on the encoder!

The Flipsky 75100 V1 design is based on ypl’s work. Flipsky bought a controller from him, copied it with some tweaks and re-sold it as their own.

ypl did open source his hardware after he found out, and while it’s not exactly the same as the Flipsky hardware it should be pretty close

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1700766

As for the low power mode, newer VESCs use the STM32 to enable a low power mode. You can see this in the VESC MK5 schematic

https://vesc-project.com/node/311

Along with the header file for that hardware on how it’s configured. It uses GPIOC 5

and some code in the .c file to make it all work

An easier option would be to just buy an external anti-spark switch (usually a small PCB with a bank of mosfets), or make a loop key out of an XT90S as long as voltages are below 18s

1 Like

As of 12/31/2022 my experience is that the zip file in the first with the the 6.0b56 does not work with the latest 6.0 version of the tool and the V202 / Aluminium hardware. So after following the steps to upload the custom file firmware above I went back to the Firmware section in the 6.0 tool and did the following to get it working:

1. Bootloader Tab → Select Default → Upload Firmware
    1. Included Files tab (this should show Hw: 75_100_V2 if you did the earlier parts correctly) → Select the VESC_default.bin file on the right → Upload Firmware

After it restarted I had no more errors about motor deserialization, etc. Jaykup referenced this situation if you scroll up a few posts but it looks like he hasn’t updated the instructions in the first post just yet. If you have the 202 hardware version we still have to manually update the firmware because the out of the box hardware name is 75_300_R2 which is wrong. Manually updating it fixes the name to the correct 75_100_V2.

3 Likes

Glad you were able to get it working and thanks for creating those instructions. They are correct.

The deserialization error is due to updates made to the VESC Tool’s configuration code after that 6.0 beta 56 version was compiled. A more descriptive error text would be “Unable to read motor configuration from ESC” or “Unexpected motor configuration format, likely due to beta firmware”.

The main post is now fully updated with new instructions, new firmware links, more hardware versions, more ESC specific information, some formatting and a bit of organization.

1 Like

Hi, I tried updating the firmware on my Flipsky 75100. Just when the update was done the program stopped responding (I did not turn off the power on my board). After a while I closed the program and found that the vesc must have been bricked. My board does not work and i can not connect it with the vesc tool.

Is it possible to reset the vesc or in some way make it work as before? Can I use a swd programmer for this vesc or do I have to buy a new one? Thank you.

Which 75100? Does the 75100 power up? Blue LED? Green LED? Do you have a bluetooth adapter to try it with? When the ESC is off, is the 3.3v to GND shorted? What’s the resistance between all phase combinations?

You might want to download the beta VESC tool from the VESC project website. It has several speed improvements over the 6.00 release, as well as the archive feature that will still allow you to load 6.00 if you’d like.

If nothing on the hardware has failed, you can use a simple ST-LINK V2 to manually flash the firmware. Expand the “ST-LINK over the SWD port” section on the first post.

1 Like

I bought it quite recently from flipskys website, is that enough for you to tell which one it is? All hardware seem to work properly except for the software in the 75100. Blue LED. I will look into the other things mentioned ty. This is my first build and Im a complete beginner so Im not familiar with any of this just saying.

I don’t have a bluetooth adapter

Hi again, I have followed all the steps in “ST-LINK over the SWD port”. The VESC is now connected to Vesc Tool and according to the LED’s on the controller the VESC and controller is paired. Vesc Tool still says paired: false, except from that everything seem to be in place but the motor doesn’t respond when i accelerate on the controller. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is it something with the electronics or could it be a software issue?

1 Like

I believe HW_DEAD_TIME_NSEC must be also overriden in firmware config file.
Fsesc uses FET drivers that has built in 100ns deadtime, while UCC2721 has only 2ns.

It sounds like your questions might be VESC firmware setup related. Maybe check out some tutorials on Youtube for how to set it up.

Basically you connect to it
Run motor detection
Run the input wizard. Pay attention to battery current.
Go for a ride and tweak motor/battery current as needed.

This is a really good point. The deadtime is 660ns in the firmware.

#define HW_DEAD_TIME_NSEC 660.0

What’s interesting is Vedder bumped that up to 1000 on his 75_300 firmware, which also means all the Flipsky controllers running it also got a bump. I left it at 660. I’d have to put it on a scope to see what actually makes sense.

1 Like

Agree, I would not try small delay values before checking with a scope.
Drivers has bigger built-in deadtime but they are also weaker.

Hey, am I doing something wrong? I have one of the new Flipsky 75100 designed boards instead of the one they stole the design of, but anytime I try to connect via Bluetooth on android it fails and VESC tool says it has a problem reading the firmware. USB C connection makes no connection sounds/notification on Windows and VESC tool cannot find it.

I had 4 of those older models that they copied the design and never had a problem connecting.

I only installed the firmware that came on it so far. it’s blinking red non-stop and when I do the foc test it says it has a fault “sensor detection failed” (but the motor has no sensors) and won’t spin but when I go to “terminal” and then “print faults” it says “no faults registered since startup”
What can I do?

I turned off phase filtering before doing anything and the voltage settings aren’t too high

I have a couple flipsky75100 doing this.

Also u know if other 75100 escs can do higher voltage? I’m doing 87v

I have this:
MakerX Go-FOC HI100 75V 120A Base on VESC100250

And this:

1 Like

Was it like this out of the box?

Are you powering it with at least 20v?

What bluetooth dongle are you using?

Any LED lights on?