How to tune Advanced Sensorless Startup?

So I’m decently confused regarding ASS. I’ve read a lot of chatter about it around here without actually seeing implementation / guides. Trampa just says “Do the setup wizard” in one of the posts floating around.

Well, the Wizard doesn’t work for me, for this specific motor. I got ASS working on some 50mm esk8 motors but my large DD hub motor doesn’t like it. Feels exactly like sensorless mode with no advanced startup. I don’t have temp sensors, but allegedly it’s not as needed anymore due to the HFI blip they implemented to measure temp through the phases.

How do you actually mess with ASS settings? Where are they? I’m running the latest beta of VESC tool. On the HD60.

How sensitive is ASS to phase lead length?

6 Likes

ASS require temp sensor to work.

5 Likes

Was this not implying that they were able to get it working without temp sensors?

I figured it worked without temp sensing, because it was working perfect on my esk8 motors, ranging from cool to about 120 degrees externally.

1 Like

Looks to me temp sensor is needed

4 Likes

ASS. The Advanced Sensorless Startup that requires sensors.

23 Likes

17 Likes

22 Likes

According to Vedder himself, it works best when the motor is already spinning.

5 Likes

wait… so… u need to kick start before ass works? isn’t that dare i say… same as standard sensorless?

4 Likes

Sounds like ass to me

24 Likes

glad i found this post though… was very hopeful from trampa’s description and was thinking of picking up a HD. how many motors do you see out there with just temp sensor that doesn’t have a trampa stamp on it… bah.

1 Like

I have seen plenty motors with dead hall sensors but working temp sensor. Retrofitting a temp sensor is also quite easy. And even without temp sensor it works. Best performance is still guaranteed with temp sensing.

I see a lot of users open their motors to reinforce them. At that stage you could easily add a 10k ntc thermistor on a cable.

Even if you run halls, its still good to know that a failed hall sensor can be resolved via activating the sensorless statup algorithm.

On top of that halls have the potential to kill an STM processor, while a shorted temp sensor would not damage anything.

8 Likes

I’d love to see a guide on doing this. I buy already battle-hardened motors and tend to just replace mine when the sensors break.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of insulating motors with epoxy since the thermal properties will suffer a lot from shielding the windings and magnets from airflow. However, a motor with broken halls is still a good motor if you run a VESC 6 or VESC HD.

1 Like

Just so happens I have a set laying around and a 60D. I’m going to give it a shot when I get the chance. What’s a good way to check if the temp sensor is good?

1 Like

Correct temp sensor readings show you they still work. The 60D probably doesn’t support A.S.S.

How can I check? Does it not work on single mcu (whatever the chip is called) ESCs?

1 Like

The hardware needs to have additional circuitry.
VESC 6 MKV has it, VESC HD also features the circuitry.

Do Vesc HD come preloaded with fw that handles ass?
And just to confirm ASS will still work from a deadstop with motor that don’t have temp sensor. Is that accurate?

What specific circuitry are you talking about?

6 Likes