How to remove the bearing putter ring. Bergmister

This is stuck how to remove it and hopefully don’t kill the rim. Google wasn’t helpful for me this time.

Any ideas?

Damn this is a deja Vu moment this blody bearings.

1 Like

Gear puller

2 Likes

Take a wooden dowel and a hammer, status tapping it through, go around the ring in circles. Get a bigger hammer and metal rod if it’s not working

I don’t know if that will work. My puller have nothing to grab on. Is sits really flush.

Cant reach it from the other side.

1 Like

how did you get it in there? pressed in?

Is there any gap for a flat head screwdriver or something?

Yes installd as a regular bearing. I want to replace the bearing because they have lived thair life and I did want to replace all of them. I did the classic bend it on the truck axel. But this one exploded and the outer bearing ring is stuck.

You can take a torch to heat the rim just around the stuck outer bearing piece. Heat it up and then put a few ice cubes into the middle of the stuck outer bearing piece.

The idea is that the rim expands and the bearing piece contracts with the ice.

5 Likes

Do I need a hammer or if done right it should work?

1 Like

I think a pair of pliers should do the trick as long as a little piece of the bearing is exposed, which judging by the picture it is

2 Likes

Also these videos should be helpful: :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/rog8ou-ZepE

16 Likes

Should be easy
Flat head screw driver and hammer should do the trick.

Put the rim half upside down on top of 2 pieces of wood with a gap large enough for the piece to go out
Place the tip of the screw driver in an angle and gently tap it with the hammer making sure you hit the bearing house only one side at the time.

It should pop right out

2 Likes

A slide hammer would pop that right out

2 Likes

Yeah that the simplest for Mee with limited tools and space.

I’ll probably scratch the sides of the rim there the bearings sits. But a bit of sanding will make it smooth again.

1 Like

Would the rim hole expand w heat or contract?

The hole will have a slightly larger bore when hot

The hole can shrink ironically if only the hole is heated and not the entire part

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/metrology/im-heating-part-hole-shrink-fit-does-hole-get-smaller-302475/index2.html

3 Likes

That makes a ton of sense when you put it like that.

Maybe but the whole hub into the oven, as high as it will go, take it out and apply the ice cube directly to the bearing?

1 Like
3 Likes