How to remove the bearing putter ring. Bergmister

you can literally get one at harbor freight for like 10 bucks use it in the parking lot and then go back inside and return it lol

5 Likes

Incredibly, its crappier than the amazon one and more expensive.

2 Likes

Wtf… I swear I’ve gotten one for under twenty bucks from there.
It had like no attachments tho.
(That was like 8 years ago)

literally just had to do this last night. Pardon me if somebody already posted this.

Turn it upside down so that the bearing retainer ring is facing the bench. put the rim on two blocks of wood so that there’s space between the rim’s bearing seat and the bench. Take a medium sized flat head screw driver and grab an edge on the retainer ring. pop it with a hammer lightly. Move the screwdriver to the opposite side of the retainer ring and do it again. It should pop out in two or three taps.

3 Likes

@CiscoV i should have read the entire thread firt lol you said the exact same thing.

3 Likes

Oh shit. We think like twin bros :rofl::rofl:
It shouldn’t be that hard. Hopefully is out by now :metal:t3:

1 Like

Just leave it in there, you deserve this.

6 Likes

It have come to this then. Tryed the fire n ice method it didn’t work for my case. I used a tourch.

I was just wondering if there was a simple solution because I believe this has happened to most of us at some point.

Hammer and chisel here I come.

@Brenternet u may be rough but deep inside u have a soft ESC and I know u want the best for all esk8ers out there especially diy folks. :grin:

1 Like
2 Likes

You can reassemble the bearing by sacrificing another one. Machining trick, disassemble a new bearing, remove the retainer, slide the balls all to one side and the inner ring will pop out. Put the new inner ring and new ball bearings into the race that is stuck, redistribute the ball bearings and voila, complete bearing ready to be removed. (doesnt work if outer race is significantly cracked)

4 Likes

I would assemble the bearing inside the wheel then hammer on an M8 bolt to get it out.

If you put the bearing back together you will have something to hammer against.

@Chaki I know this is an old thread but how did you get it out in the end

Got the same problem as you

Yes I did use a dremel to cut it. Some WD-40 and a hammer it popped out. But the rim did get scratches

5 Likes

K thanks will try some wd40 on the rim

So where to you bang with the hammer and how

I soaked the hole ring with wd40 and put a flat headed screwdriver against the edge and banged with a hammer but nothing happened

Did anything else help?

Edit: looked around online and realised I will probably need a Dremel anyone know where to get a cheap one
Thanks

Seriously, Dremel’ing the problem should be a last, last, last… resort …

LHB has made a nice description a few posts above. Hammer the highest point of the bearing. trying to level it with the bottom of the hole. Worst case, cool down the bearing with ice or heat the aluminum hub with whatever…

1 Like

So tried as hard as I could do push it out but it wouldn’t budge at all

Will give it another go

Could someone quickly show a picture of where the screwdriver should be placed against the bearing just to make sure I got it right

bang it like your

jkjkjk :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

So carried on whacking it for like 10 min and didn’t even budge slightly

Really desperate to remove this ring without ruining the hub

I hear you. If it would be me, something is breaking that night, either me or that bearing…

Thinking about it, a different approach I would attempt is to maybe re-seat before trying to get it out. I mean, hammering it in place before trying to hammer it out.

2 Likes