How do you spot weld pure nickel strips?

Actually steel is significantly easier to weld than nickel (ask me how I know loool), this is why OP is having issues I guess, welds are not powerful enough for nickel.

6 Likes

Aren’t you the dude who got a steel plated nickel from nkon?

How do you spot weld your batteries?

1 Like

I am. This is how I know all about welding steel.
I spot weld with the boss level custom spot welder, I have control over pulse length and number of pulses etc

1 Like

lol, I feel you brother.
How well are you welds comes out with the pure nickel strips using the boss welder?

1 Like

Yeah really nice, I’m about to upgrade it with active cooling so I dont need the frozen peas anymore haha

4 Likes

The only welder you should ever waste your hard earned money on is right here…

1 Like

Thats weird since nickel has better thermal conductivity then steel and a lower melting point. Makes 0 sense. Any chance your steel was nickel plated ?

welding is all about the resistance the higher the resistance the better it welds which is why copper is hard to spot weld

4 Likes

as above its not about the thermal conductivity or melting point. Have you ever noticed its easier to weld a nickel strip to a cell than it is to another nickel strip?

1 Like

Then please elaborate what physics I can apply to this conundrum.

Actually I get the impression that the nickel to nickel weld stick alot easier. :woman_shrugging:

In my head I believe the more conductive a material gets the further the spot weld is spread thus leading to a less focused weld meaning you need more amps the more conductive you get.

On the kweld i have to double my joules to get the same weld nickel on nickel that i get from nickel to cell.

1 Like

what cells u been welding? Not sure how the pole materials differ between cells but cells ive gone through are the 30Qs, 35E, LG HG2s, 25R and and some panasonics i can remember the name of. Always felt like nickel to nickel was easier :thinking:

1 Like

I can back that up that nickel plated steel is more easy to weld. Not on physics thou.
But my sunkko did pretty good welds with nickel plated steel taps. Once I used pure nickel strips I could easy pop up the welded nickel from the cell. Same thickness of material, same settings on the welder.

30qs and sanyo 20700bs.

Save yourself the time and just buy one like kweld or the boss level

Simpler and cheaper

1 Like

cells arent made out of nickel

No shit

1 Like

The whole point of this comment is really unclear to me I thought you were presuming cells were nickel since they are easier to weld too. No need to be disrespectful my man

Steel has higher electrical and thermal resistance hhan nickel.

For spot welding you need to concenhrahe enough heat in a small area until metal melts.

High resistance makes more heat. Lower thermal conductivity keeps heat in smaller spot.

I had not considered melting point though. Seems like the other 2 factors dominate?

Most cell bodies are steel.