How do I choose a proper ESC?

Motor kv should be selected based on battery voltage.

190kv for 12s.

130kv for 18s.

2 Likes

No. I personally have switched to only buying stormcores over the past year because I just value the convenience. And I believe they are the only ones with the RGB power button that shows remaining battery capacity.

As for their motors: they share the same manufacturer as Maytech, but they might be customized in some way to be slightly better. (Source: people don’t seem to overheat the lacroix 6396 motors as much as the maytech ones + my ass) Pricey, so Flipsky battle hardened might be a better choice, but definitely not a bad option.

3 Likes

Thank you for the input! Do you happen to have the formula to calculate what would be ideal for a 10S? What I’ve understood is that you can use any battery for any motor, but they may perform good or bad, but not be completely useless?

I have 170kv for a 10S, but Im quite sure that Verreal still use 170kv for their 12S battery pack.

Thanks a lot, this is great information!So it was the Stormcores that had the nice RGB switch. That’s something I would really love to put on my board :smiley:

What happens when you run 140kv on 12s. Im a big dude and sometimes looking for more torque.

Lol you new around here Shua? Haven’t you seen Trampa’s history here

Also, you might be right, a lot of them seem to last very well. Not sure what that other person was saying about getting replacements. From what I’ve heard, despite the owner’s antics, their shipping is very quick and CS is good

There’s a link to a calculator at the top of this site :point_up:

Also, since I reckon you’re new to building your own esk8, I recommend reading through this thread and the ones it links to:

(God damn that thread is old now, we really need to make a new one for newcomers. )

1 Like

Nah

1 Like

Stick with 190kv and change your gear ratio if possible. It’s a more efficient way of getting more torque.

3 Likes

Couple points
Frank isn’t the owner (almost sure that ted is)
Also I’m not talking from a perspective of them sueing people for no reason rather from how good their vescs and cs are
Both are better then just about any other vendor out there
Few come close to them

Most the guys shouting about how his actual parts are bad tend to be people who have never even bought anything from him before

I agree frank can take things to far but people have to stop ruining an entire company who make high quality esk8 parts and have good cs.
We don’t have enough good vendors to start ruining them

Believe me if trampa actually cared about what we think, they would have been gone long ago

They do not care AT ALL and have made it clear we are the bottom of the totem pole

I’ve never owner trampa parts but I’ve also never seen people saying they break so not sure where that part comes from

1 Like

Makes sense

I just think we should start respecting trampa parts a bit more
Their quality is really top notch and when they’re do have issues they have been honest and faced them

Everyone made fun when they had that battery holder fiasco but I think most vendors would deny the issue and just claim it was user error

You mean like with the Wand?

7 Likes

I don’t think we as a community have figured that out, at least not with dyno testing to backup the anecdotal claims. 190Kv on 12s performs very well for most people provided you can gear it properly (start with 25-35mph top speed). Personally I think 230Kv for 10s would be ideal, as it’s equivalent to 190Kv at 12s.

This is more or less true. You can certainly run 18s on a 190Kv motor, or 12s on a 130Kv motor but it won’t perform as well.

As you spin a typical 63mm outrunner past 8-10k RPMs, you start losing power to iron losses. The sweet spot seems to be around 6-8k but again no dyno testing to prove that. So if you run a 190Kv motor at 18s (12k RPMs), you are going to lose relatively more power to the wheels and generate more waste heat.

If you run 12s on a low Kv motor, you run into higher copper losses. Low Kv motor windings have a higher resistance than high Kv motors. Functionally you will need to push more amps to get the same amount of watts if voltage is kept the same. This generates more heat from those copper losses.

Finding that sweet spot between low copper losses and low iron losses (ultimately the best efficiency) is what determines the right Kv for a given voltage. We’ve mostly figured it out through trial and error, but a dyno would allow us to truly dial it in.

I’m a firm believer that gearing (and high motor amps) is the best way to get more torque, rather than lowering motor Kv. If you want more torque, start with lowering the top speed by changing gearing or tire size rather than Kv and make sure the motor amps are as high as the controller will allow.

2 Likes

170KV are great first motors IMO. Fuck that 190KV shit.

170KV on 12S properly geared is ch00chin.

Like, It’s 190KV shouldn’t even exist. 170KV & 210KV, no inbetweens. Reaching deep into my arse to pull these takes out today

3 Likes

bioboards is using a green spintend ubox, which also seems to have proven itself. However, they’re slightly larger than a stormcore. But they do have the UNI1 remote which is kind of awesome with its on screen telemetry.

1 Like

I should have written “second hand unity” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Far as I know, the US site only sells the Supersports and the Jaws. They don’t sell the regular 12S Nazare or Lonestar anymore. So they have two flagships, both are higher voltage. And then they have the Jaws 2.0, which is 12s.

1 Like

Ive killed a stormcore 60D. I mean i did short my charging positive wire on the casing, but thats besides the point (/s)

For real though, i love mine. So easy to setup, plug and play. The entire case is aluminium (aside from the front), i haven’t seen my mosfet temps higher than 45 deg, running 60 motor amps each side.
Love it so much i replaced it with a new one, and im going to try and repair the old one.

1 Like

Weird… That should not be the reason why it died since the casing is not a part of the circuit :face_with_monocle:

This information is priceless, thank you so much guys!
Ive had an eye out for the Torque board V2 deck but there is a giant thread here saying they are a scam?
Are their decks trash or is it worth getting? I want it because it looks very sleek with the battery case and its an incredibly strong deck, supposedly.

Ps. Had to wait quite a while to comment (new user)

2 Likes