High speed mountainboard build? The shopping list for now

Aight, where do i even start…

I’m looking to build my next board, slowly, over the next few months. Due to brexit, what is possible to get from the uk, will be bought from the uk, while the rest will hopefully be bought from members of this forum. Top speed should be in the 75-80km/hr range and potentially be upgraded to 4wd as budget allows

First things first, for a deck i’m probably looking to find a @Trampa hs11 with those fancy channels for wires. Even better if it’s routed for a potential 4wd and the bigger version.
Any other ideas are welcome too as long as they aren’t wood.

Trucks? Tight battle between matrix 2’s and infinity, don’t really know…
The hypertrucks would be nice as well but i can only justify the price of i was to do belts (and if they had normal mounting pattern for motors), but £800 for 2 trucks and 4 wheels, meh.

Battery and enclosure: really impressed with trampa’s battery pcb but a full set for 21700 cells and 2 single vescs is £950 before tax. Jesus fuck, almost £1200 for the electricals without batteries, those are another £400 from fogstar :confused: . This would be the price to pay to not have a toolbox as the enclosure and to be able to take out the batteries for a flight

Motors: aps or maytech, whichever cuts the fewest corners at £100 a piece

Drivetrain: @moon drives? I wish gears were all metal though, but being in the uk and having active stock is hard to beat.

Wheels: i want to read some opinions between 8 and 9 inch wheels. How big is too big? What’s better for speed?

Extras: davega (shipping that will be fun), fancy grab handle, lights and dc converter to handle them, possibly some form of waterproof dashcam for front and rear as well.

What else? I don’t know. Will update as i find things

6 Likes

flux deck?

also for the battery system you coudl get it built modular and then it is still removable for flights. so each p group is wired in series with an xt60 or xt90

moon drives are awesome and especially since you can get replacements easily that means they dont really need to be steel on steel

also i belive @skyart said that he didnt enjoy 9 inch and he much preffered 8 (dont quote me on that)

and i have heard some not great things about aps motors pre battle hardened and maytech seem good
also flipskys new battle hardened ones seem awesome

1 Like

If you’re not wanting wood, then yeah probably a trampa deck. But consider the Haero bro. Currently doing a MTB with this deck

. Haven’t ridden it yet, but @Lee_Wright swears by it and he has a beast mountainboard with moon gears.

If you’re taking it slow, wait for @ApexBoards to release their trucks for the MTB. They pair nicely with moon drives and look incredible. It’ll also be UK shipped. Also just look at @ApexBoards website for the battery as well haha, they’re great quality and local for you.

8 Likes

Looks like maple with some fibreglass, a clear no from me. Weather in the uk and commuting has proven me many times over that everything must be waterproof.

Max you can carry is like 4 packs limited at 99wh each. Over that and you need airline approval and i can only assume that they are more likely to approve 84 cells individually sealed, put together in a fireproof bag than 12 strips of cells in heatshrink with dangly connectors at the ends. Same applies to shipping options.

The drives i agree they look great, but i don’t want to fear smashing the brakes at a stop like i did with belts. If i want to stop on a penny, i want nothing to break while doing so, and plastic is cutting it reaaaaly close to that limit.

@Skyart have your say mate, really curious.

Aps has some 63100 v2 motors that seem to follow all the latest trends, and maytech are only available from @Anubis and another site i completely forgot the name of and sells them in pairs only. I do not want to give any more of my money towards flipsky

1 Like

fair enough go for it
in terms of batteries doubt if they are individually sealed it wotn make much of a difference compared to if they are in something cleverly designed like a 3d printed holder to hold each p group
like nese just welded underneath

1 Like

I’d steer clear of flexible decks if you’re shooting for speed.

5 Likes

High speed MTB?

Avoid springs and Trampa decks

Trampa Infinity will require a £60 barrel upgrade if you want to go fast.

9 Likes

:point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3:

Just get the Haero Bro, you won’t regret it.

3 Likes

I think if you want high speed, stop looking at MTB decks, get red ember 44 or plutonium deck, you will be able to fit more cells, and have better stability.

10 Likes

insane deck looks and feels amazing

2 Likes

That potentially looks good, but the wood part still leaves me thinking. It has a natural shape and no weird bend in the middle, with the downside being the material and the options for adding width through wings later close to 0. It’s half a centimeter wider than my hummie board and there’s almost a quarter of a shoe tip coming out in the back.

Apex makes some cool shit but the prices still leave me thinking twice to be honest. I got a 12A charger from trampa for the same price as the apex 10A option (and the trampa one is fanless, big but dead silent)

1 Like

I mean, 740 euros for a 12s6p p42a is a pretty good price, you won’t find it much lower from a quality battery builder.

Their quality and customer service are top notch as well. I’d say they’re priced very well.

2 Likes

Ranglebox for maytechs

1 Like

If he has time, its almost worth making the pack yourself. I think you’d get a “free” spot welder out of the savings, but of course it would take ages

4 Likes

Oh yeah for sure, it’s better to build yourself if you can. I can’t so I buy from builders :rofl:

Chances are i can’t fly with them anyway, always worth the try.
Nese look extremely overpriced and i wouldn’t trust them over 50A anyway

Hoping for the stiffest option with split angles through risers. I run calibers with 50/40° and soft bushings and i hit 67km/hr just yesterday

Not many weatherproof options out there for decks, and barrels would make it £60 minimum, as finding the right hardness is not easy and there’s a thing here where there’s 5° in the morning and 35° in the afternoon which turns bushings from rocks to jelly beans

I have a hummie which makes me happy but wheel clearance, spare berg tubes available only in museums, the wood soaking like a sponge and vesc temperatures don’t make me so confident that i will use it after around june

1 Like

We have really got to agree that the Bro is a fantastic deck! We love it and have had no issues. The only people who are vocal about not liking wooden decks are Trampa… dont believe the hype I say.

Anyways, we will have something super cool for sale very soon, if you are in no hurry we should be offering a deck, trucks, wheels and bindings package in a month or two.

As for our batteries, yes £740 seems like a fair chunk, but this is a fucking awesome battery and you wont be disappointed. We warranty our batts for 3 months and take care of our customers and that means we charge a little more than joe blogs the battery maker.

7 Likes

Im not exactly sure why springy decks are considered bad for high speed. Isn’t it advantageous when the board eats up more cracks and potholes when going fast? My Loaded Vanguard and flexy trampa build both go over 60kmh and both feel pretty good.

3 Likes

In my experience flexier decks give less direct control, and tend to bounce my foot out of position whenever it hits a bump. Stiff decks feel much more predictable and transmit the road conditions better.

4 Likes