Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

I didn’t know there was a choice. As far as I know they’re only available with an 8mm diameter, 30mm long shaft.

I forgot to update that I’ve been running the fs6384 motors on these.

1 Like

I can confirm they fit on a 40” Switchblade!

5 Likes

So on the inaugural ride I managed to shred one of my wheel gears. Literally bits of plastic floating around in the gear drive.

Anyone know where replacement gears can be ordered, or if there is a 3D printing file somewhere to use for reproduction?

Any idea what the cause was? Did you hop a curb or hit a pothole?

@b264 :cold_face:

1 Like

You must be mistaken, plastic gears don’t break

7 Likes

Oh damn! Man that sucks! I don’t know anyone who has access to spares. I’ve been chasing some myself.

Yup, it looks like there will be no Avio gears or parts available.

Surprised there was an issue unless the motor gear moved. I’m a fatty and have lots of hard miles on a set. They look new.

2 Likes

You could try emailing him.

2 Likes

I’ve tried messaging him on here but hadn’t thought to email him. I will try that also.

Not really sure what did it, but I hopped off my board and hit the brakes to keep it from getting away from me and when I went to pick it up one of the wheels had seized. Perhaps i didn’t set the backlash properly?

Now I’ve got a set of Kahua trucks and one working gear drive that I’ll need to replace with a different set of trucks and a new gear drive. Boardnamics or 3Dservisas perhaps?

1 Like

I have contacted Jackson a few months ago, he had a decent stock of haggy and avio drive spares. Send him an email I am sure he has those gears.

jackson@cycco.com.tw

5 Likes

He replied to me. Looks like just wheel pulleys, not gear drive parts :frowning: asked for clarification

I got the same response. I looked into getting my intact gear scanned, modelled and 3D printed but was quoted $500 just to get it modelled, with no guarantee of accurate success.
I’ll keep trying different outfits until someone stands tall amongst the rest.

The gears aren’t THAT special are they?

Besides the herringbone part

I don’t imagine a 3d printed one would last terribly long unless it was printed in Nylon or something tough

1 Like

Almost everything Timo made was fully custom runs. I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if it is a custom gear, or a modified off the shelf gear.

I’m putting two drives on the market fairly soon fwiw.

3 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be scooped up quick when you do, but please feel free to PM me when you’re ready to part with them.

The response I got from the scanning/modelling Service provider is that the gears look to be highly precise with unique measurements. Modelling isn’t always easy or accurate with such a complex part, and for $500 you could get new drives that are guaranteed to work anyways.

Then again if someone has the resources to try this type of service out I would be very curious to see how the reproduced years fair. Personally speaking, I would be willing to pay for the cad file that is generated when these gears are accurately scanned and modelled - as long as they’re proven to stand the test of time and abuse.

1 Like

I’d be down to split a set of drives to get some spares.

If you can get an accurate, working 3D model of the gear, it might be worthwhile to have some machined out of steel. Expensive as fuck, I’m sure, but if you did a group-buy for a small batch there might be more folks interested.

Also, I think @frame might have a spare gear. See if you can sweet talk him into giving his up :kissing_heart:

Also also, have you tried contacting Timo to see if he has a spare or is willing to share the files to the community for after-sales-support reasons? He’s a really cool guy, and might be willing to help us out.

2 Likes