Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

I think @haggyboard.timo will have to chime in on this.

3 Likes

Hey guys. So a quick update on 2 fronts.

Progress

• Everything is on track, QC is going smoothly and we expect the drives to be in sooner than expected, perhaps before Christmas! I’ll be updating this thread/the mailing list more frequently so keep a look out!

Hybrid PU Adapter

• As mentioned in the earlier posts, I intended to design a urethane adapter for the foamie/cloud wheels. Along the design journey, I realised that some might want also want to use TB110s with the mk2 drive and so, I decided to make it a hybrid adapter to fit both Kegel and Abec cores. This will be manufactured along with the 15T pinions, and here’s what the hybrid adapter looks like:

The Kegel version : A simple adapter with 6 spokes.

The Abec version : Without additional support, the adapter will only have 4 spokes in contact with the core. So, 4x m5 screws are screwed in to provide additional strength.

12 Likes

Got a price for this add on yet?

Sorry, but not yet! We’re still working with our suppliers to bring the cost down (:

4 Likes

Sorry, i stand corrected. it’s not 30% lighter, it’s actually 40% lighter…
MK1 = 745g per drive.
MK2 = 441g per drive.

Also, the sample set has been assembled, most parts have been manufactured, QC and testing is now underway.

Here are some pics of the assembled unit. pardon the slightly beaten up motors.

12 Likes
10 Likes

5dd2cac879d757330b3ab572

8 Likes

I have since tried them with riptide bushings.

Feeling is way better. It’s all in the bushings.

I bet you can make the cheapest trucks feel 100% better as long as you use the right bushings for your weight and preference.

4 Likes

So ready to get a set of these in my hands. Funds are allocated and prepared for transfer! Cant wait!!!
Great job everybody whos behind this project

2 Likes

It do look amazing but wish there was a nonpneumatic wheel this would fit, would have to spend a lot more on batteries or suffer on range

6 Likes

Here you go:

6 Likes

For 110s what kind of clearance is expected?

1 Like

Pneumatics aren’t nearly as big of a range hit as you think they are. At max PSI, bergmeister wheels are maybe 2 to 3% less efficient than PU wheels. They allow you to go faster over any given terrain, and the extra speed eats your battery.

1 Like

This cannot be true

5 Likes

Don’t doubt it but are u comparing w everything else the same?
Is a fully pumped tire(what psi?) at 110mm w a nice supple tire and maybe tubeless or latex tube as low rolling resistance as top quality pu at 110mm diameter but much wider better?

Besides the same gearing

I had the same experience going from Caguamas to 6.5” Urban Treads pumped to the max, not 3%, but 10% more consumption, running on dirt versus street

1 Like

It’ll be around 15mm of clearance. You can also use a TPU bashguard if you want to prevent scratches. (Bashguard .stl files are available in the first post above).

1 Like

Since there is no green loctite, wouldn’t the slop between the motor and pinion get bigger and bigger. The tolerance between key and keyway in some motors isn’t great from the start.

While there is no need for green loctite between the pinion and the motor shaft, depending on your motor shaft, you may still have to lock the keyway to the motor shaft (i’d advise loctite 680 for this), but some people use epoxy or jb weld).

1 Like