Help with first board please!

Hi guys and gal(s)! Long time reader first time poster.
I totally appreciate any help you gurus can provide:
What I’ve done so far:
Read for hours, learned a lot about types of drives, decks, wheels, etc, but feel so far from being able to know how each part is compatible with the next and which vendor to use (TB looked awesome until I saw the comments in the vendor thread).
What my end goal is and my parameters:

—210 lbs
—Orange County CA, not a ton of hills
—budget of about $1,500/$1,600
—I don’t have any esk8-specific tools

—looking for street longboard on urethane with top speed about 40mph…ok maybe 38mph at my weight lol.
—any drive type except hubs (obvi).
—real world range of at least 15mi (so probably rated at 25-30).

How you can help:
There are a few pre-made boards that are close to my needs, but just a bit off, so I’m wondering if there’s a way to get close to a “clone” that is pretty “plug and play” given my lack of specialized tools and experience.
For example, I LOVE how the Street-Wing P1 looks, and it’s performance stats, but it’s a bit too expensive. (As an aside, I can’t find a decent review of the board anywhere. Is it too good to be true? How do they get that speed from a 10s battery?) I’d be fine sacrificing some of the range, and headlights for cost savings. Also, the ownboard Zeus would be pretty good but again wish I could trade some range for a bit more speed, and with a different deck (I LOVE the landyachtz evo 40 deck and some of the builds I’ve seen here).
Any suggestions?
I’m open to a lightly used board as well.
THANKS!!

2 Likes

First off, how much riding experience do you have? Do you know how fast 40 actually is? It’s kinda nuts. I’ve been nearly to it before, but only on very good roads.

Honestly first time hearing of it I didn’t know they had a board

Vesc and gearing probably + motor kv

If you find someone to try out the Zeus with I think it would be an awesome option. I don’t think anyone on here has done it yet but I imagine a VESC swap into it would be amazing

2 Likes

Also be careful about negative reviews. Mostly only people with negative experiences leave reviews, people with positive ones are way less likely to do so, so your image of a vendor can become skewed very quickly.

4 Likes

Good advice in general, but not in TB’s case :laughing:

I would recommend checking out the offerings from Build Kit Boards (BKB), as it’s great value for money. Apart from that, upgrading a chinese board with a vesc might be your best option for the price, unless you wanna go the full DIY route and save money that way.

3 Likes

It was meant in general, I have never interacted with TB nor bought something from him, so I can attest to nothing in this particular case. :slight_smile:

Though I can attest you that this is mostly not working out. :rofl:

2 Likes

I have a lot of traditional longboard experience but minimal esk8 experience. I do not expect to go near 40mph for a while, and even after gaining experience would only do so in controlled situations but I saw a video here (or maybe the builders forum of a dude on a diy evo going 41 by a radar gun and looked incredible:)

Street-wing P1

Does this mean the torque would suck? Put the link above in case you wanted to check it out.

Could you explain a bit? Is the stock esc bad? Or are you saying a vest would allow for tweaking range vs top speed?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Get yourself some 190kv flupskys. The size of the motors will depend on the trucks and the motor mounts you get, but i would go 6374. They are a great all around sized motor. So find trucks and mounts that fit that motor. Also, you need to choose a deck. That’s prolly your starting point that will guide your limitations on all the other components. Or many of them at least.

40mph is ambitious, but that was my shtick when i first got into DIY too. I was horny for speed, didn’t care about torque, and then i broke my ankle in 3 places and now i don’t go past 32mph, if that, and only for like one short burst.

Let the man live and learn guys. :rofl::rofl:. JK, if you can avoid broken bones i would advise that. And you will learn that torque is way more fun than speed in time anyway. Just be careful. And choose a deck first then i think we can help you a little more with the build!

3 Likes

Agreed. 30mph+ with plenty of torque is where you wanna be.

5 Likes

I was under the assumption that it was a fairly split opinion…that maybe half of people prioritized speed and half prioritized torque, but I’m not too proud to learn from your experience. Do you think the majority of the community shares your opinion that torque is more fun/thrilling than speed?
If so, I’d be fine topping out at around 34/35 to gain some torque.

Landy Evo 40” is my jam

1 Like

Ha. You must have written this while I was replying to the last comment. Good to know!

1 Like

So as for torque… most vendors don’t list acceleration times or torque in a standardized way. Is there a rule of thumb to help compare boards/drivetrains? All I know is lower kv motor is more torque, and smaller wheels.
I bet NOBODY is smart enough, god-like genius to make a wiki listing pound-foot or Newton-meter calculations for prebuilt boards or common drivetrain choices. And nobody would want the praise of the whole community for doing that…:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Closest thing to this is here:

Not necessarily, no

I’m sure the stock esc is great but usually they run at conservative settings compared to what the motors can take, I think a VESC could make it better.

Probably the general consensus

2 Likes

I use both of these to get a rough idea:

http://calc.esk8.it/

https://calc.3dservisas.eu/

This is good because I’m pretty sure there’s some folks you can get an enclosure for an Evo on. Someone else can prolly direct you better than me.

3 Likes

Yeah eboosted does and looks great but by the time I add a battery from them I’m near my budget. Maybe there is cheaper. I kinda wish I could just send an evo deck and vesc to own board and have them make a Zeus with it but I guess that’s how diy was formed haha.

2 Likes

too many variables. Everything from battery current to gearing ratio to wheels size to motor KV to variances in motors themselves off the production line and even wire quality and thickness in your build can make a difference in end delivery of power. This is why a lot of us overbuild. That, and for safety reasons.

4 Likes

You could prolly get someone to build a 12s4p for an Evo for around $450. That’s just a guestimate but ask around @skyart @JoeyZ5 @ZachTetra all good battery builders in US (Im guessing you’re US based?)

If they won’t build you one for that price i can, would just need the enclosure to fit it properly.

3 Likes

I’ve got a bit of a backlog but if you don’t mind the wait would be glad to put together a pack. If you have not yet purchased the enclosure for your evo, I have a single stack Eboosted enclosure brand new that I could sell you aswell.

4 Likes

@Chearsad this is the route to go. It’s pricey but not that pricey and worth it from one of the best battery builders in the community.

3 Likes

Yarg I was just about to pull the trigger on the ownboard Zeus thanks to comments above, but now I’m on the fence. Thanks for the offer I’ll let u know.

2 Likes

GO. D. I .Y.

1 Like