Help with first board please!

Yup, the tools you need to bolt an enclosure on and assemble a drivetrain are the tools you’ll need anyway for maintaining any electric skateboard. And If you really wanna go 40mph, an Evo is the way. :smiley:

Alright I chickened out of jumping into DIY and bought the Zeus. I found a 10% off code plus the free shred lights. I think this will let me wade into the waters of diy rather than jump. My plan is to ride it until I want more torque, then upgrade to a vesc. Then later if I want I can buy an evo+enclosure+battery (no way the Zeus battery would fit is my assumption) and swap everything else. Then later maybe I can build one from scratch:)
Thanks all!!

5 Likes

Hope you enjoy it! Remember to wear a helmet! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Shopping for one now :slight_smile: I’m thinking helmet and armored hoodie. Is anything else a “must”?

2 Likes

Gloves

3 Likes

If/when you need to do maintenance on the Zeus, or you decide to go DIY, one of the number-one most important tools to have for esk8 is a good set of hex keys/allen wrenches. I highly recommend Wera, they make some of the best ones in the world, and their price is absolutely worth it. Cheaper ones tend to round out the fasteners, and even cheaper ones (talking Amazon special) tend to bend or shatter due to inconsistencies in the metallurgy.

1 Like

I would prioritize gloves over a hoodie, because you always fall on your hands, but not always on your side or back :laughing: I think code “LeeWright” gets you 5% off flatland 3d gloves, which I really like.

Wera break easily, go Bondhaus instead :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve never broken a Wera, but I have rounded out a couple hex heads with Bondhaus wrenches. They are still definitely better than the cheap alternatives though.

I especially like Wera for their “hex-plus” shape, which is designed to wear out the hex socket less than a pure hexagon will. Not a big deal if you’re only using each bolt once or twice, but for things that might need to be loosened and tightened more than that, or with softer bolt materials like stainless steel, it is extremely beneficial.

1 Like