help! broken motor on my plutonium

Now. We need them now. There is literally only one “really good” ESC out there right now, and as awesome as it is, it needs a few cool features that esk8 requires.

and yeah, integrate some discreet boxes to save space for battery. like location services (social AND security) and light control.

2 Likes

Got it, will test in a while since I have a 4WD in the works and certainly will need a decent traction control, if it doesn’t work I will dig into the code and see if there is some easy way to implementing it

2 Likes

so I just got wind that the plutonium actually does have a traction control option in the vesc tool or metr app - will try it out once I get my motor unlocked, I have no blowtorch atm so I can’t remove the sprocket from the shaft, a heatgun won’t do either, or will it? there’s green loctite and I don’t want to damage the motor by overheating it too much by heating it up too slowly. the instructions I got from bioboard uses a blowtorch…

:::update:::

guess what, finally managed to get this thing opened with tons of heat and flat screwdrivers, turns out a piece of the magnet got shattered, and seemed to have locked up in between the magnets which then blocket rotation, the big ball bearing is actually fine, except it’s rather loud - will try some wd40 on the bearing to tone it down, and about the shattered magnets, well, would you still use this? no more debris is coming off and I removed the blocking piece.

1 Like

there’s no editing posts in here, is there? - anyways, inspected the can from outside, and there is a small dent in it from debris, it’s likely the cause for the broken magnet.

This appears once you’ve ranked up your trust level (spend more time here to rank up)

do NOT use WD40 on the bearings!

8 Likes

Correct. Just washes anything good in the bearing out. Best practice is to repack a bearing but requires seal removal(if present).

I would use a skate bearing oil and slather a few drops on the outside and try to let it seep in if you can’t remove the shield.

1 Like

Saw the wd40 reference from a linked/quoted post and came here to say the exact same thing…

Although there is a wd40 branded lithium lubricant…

ok noted - it’s the big bearing with metal seal, I could not remove the bearing so went with wd40 for now, I’m expecting a replacement motor anyways, and I also ordered 10 of those bearings which should arrive sometime in 2045 :wink: when I get them I replace all big bearings, they are too loud.

After we told you not to use wd40? Bruh why 🥲

3 Likes

nah man, b4, right b4, was done right after my post and had already used it - but again, the bearing will be replaced anyways by a new one

WD40 not only is not a lubricant, but that part is fine since you will replace the bearing, what is not fine is that it can dissolve a lot of things that should not be dissolved inside the motor, like wires insulation, the potting on the stator, the glue that holds the stator in place and so on

2 Likes

so what is everyone thinking about the piece of the magnet missing? motor feels like it got a little more resistance than usual, also dosn’t run very smooth, as if “something was missing” but what’s the science of a piece of magnet missing in an e-motor? do I lose energy? more friction from the bearings as things are a bit “off”? did about 10 miles today, went smooth, didn’t go faster than 20mph, it’s an intermediate solution, at least I’m glad I can ride it again, cells already seemed to go out of balance from waiting, had it stored half full (3.7V) and by the time it went to 3.4V I had differences of up to about 0.05V in some cells - oh well it’s always something isn’t it… nice board though, big enough to bring a lightweight female along, I did that the other day, it was rather romantic :wink:

Nothing to stress over. More than .05 is when you start worrying

also it’s rather intriguing that only BMS1 seems to have the discrepancies, the other is lined up perfectly - what could be the reason? more load/stress on the back vs the front?

I hear so much anti-wd40-ism these days, also from the aluminum welder guy I met today, when he showed me his stash of lubricants he merely remarked “meh, I just got it in there so it’s in there” what is it with this thing, what is it actually good for? how did it become so ubiquitous while also getting so much flak?

You probably have the same issue as @brown5tick I think his also got messed up after getting wet.

2 Likes

@T-Nomad hi there, I bought those ones, they ship internationally (well at least in europe)

it improved the noise a lot, but it was not like new, as the motors have two other bearings each, and they whirr after getting too wet a lot, too. still a lot better.

there are two types of lockups: if you ride in the rain, and don’t blowdry the motors after the ride, the motor/bearings can lock up the next day, usually it unlocks if you step on the board and wiggle a bit, the intertia required to unlock the motor in this state can not be brought up by hand, you have to jump on the board, then it “breakes free” at least in my case.

the other type of motor lock I had was because of a damaged motor, it got debris from the front (I rush up steep gravel roads and the motor hull on the v1 is rather thin (they made it thicker on the v2) so one of the rocks dented the chassis which destroyed one of the magnets inside. they sent me a used replacement and I am still happy with it, also it is way more silent than the other motors (it never got really wet).

I have a new problem with one of the motors though, and I am not sure if it was user-error, after replacing all the big bearings, one of the motors is wiggling (by 1-2mm) on his axis, not sure what I have missed, I tried to find it out once, but failed. it works fairly normal, is very loud, and feels a bit unsafe, but have done 800km with it already. any ideas what could cause this?

@regarding the battery: well it seems to have gotten worse, but it is not constant. I think I messed it up when I stressed it too much after having to charge it at almost negative temperatures close to a mountaintop, then I had to start the descent early in the morning which meant it would further charge which had it temporarily go to 4.3V or something close. so essentially overcharging at freezing temps, can’t be good. anyways, I almost use it daily in winter, it’s such a rugged workhorse, I occasionally use it for collecting wood and bringing it home to dry. so essentially now I have various packs acting weird, when I charge it and have it balance a night, the max difference is still 0.1V when it is 30% the difference become way bigger, up to 0.2V more or less. I noticed it struggled to violently throw me up steep hills as when it was new, but I think after 6k kilometers and almost daily use this is understandable. wonder if there is a simple way to replace single cells from the stunning pcb inside this monster of a machine.

1 Like