"Heavy Weather" | MBS Pro 97 DWII | DV6 Pro | 6396 | 12s7p | E-Toxx Chaindrive

Here’s a bitmap and vector version.

10 Likes

Could you share how exactly the 3DSERVISAS ESC case is mounted to the board? It looks to me like the pre-drilled holes in the aluminum of the case would be made to thread the board’s truck mounting screws through but I am not sure of this. Any info is appreciated!

1 Like

That’s exactly how it works, yeah… except the “pre-drilled holes” aren’t actually pre-drilled. There’s various spots on its baseplate that you can drill out depending on what you’re mounting it to. It comes with the longer bolts you’ll need to fasten it through to the trucks.

2 Likes

After a painfully long hiatus, I finally managed to make some progress this weekend…

The only thing I need to do now is get the enclosure mounted to the deck. Hopefully another 8 week break won’t get in the way :joy: :unamused:

21 Likes

Dude that thing looks actually insane. Clean as fuck nice job!! Your wire job on the rear is a beauty

5 Likes

Such a clean build, well done, whats that little switch for?

1 Like

Cheers! Switch is the discharge e-switch on the BMS.

1 Like

This is clearly fake. No mountain board can be this clean and the lawn looks way too perfect as well.

6 Likes

I measured out a pattern, stuck it to a 2mm sheet of carbon fibre and drilled out holes to attach to the deck (the four in the middle) and the enclosure (at each corner).

Then used the same pattern to drill pilot holes in the deck for the threaded inserts.
I found fitting the threaded inserts really tricky. Once the outer thread bites into the wood, the insert finds its own orientation which tends to be quite a few degrees off perpendicular. Maybe it’s for the want of better tools, I dunno, but it required a lot of fiddling with and the best I could get wasn’t as true as I would’ve preferred, but for a close and shallow fastening, it doesn’t matter so much. If the fastening was over a longer distance (i.e. a thicker cf/rubber combo), it would’ve been a right old mess. I’d appreciate some tips on this for future reference.

Took that second sticker, cut and trimmed the edges to correct the orientation of the exposed artwork.

Fixed some foam rubber on either side of the cf plate and fitted everything together.

This was my first experience working with cf and I was really happy with it. It’s pretty expensive (I paid €40 for a 350x150x2mm plate) but it’s perfect for the application here. The 2mm thickness is surprisingly lightweight but reassuringly strong and it has just the right amount of flex to accommodate the movement of the deck and the damping of the enclosure. It’s also a pleasure to work with. Drilling, sawing, sanding etc is all as easy as with a good quality hardwood.

I’ve got a few small aesthetic things to finish up but, to all intents and purposes, it’s all done bar the riding. I love the noise this thing makes. It’s a nutter!

8 Likes

…and the cherry on top!

14 Likes

I love this, I think it’s one of my favorite Haero builds, everything is just the right size

4 Likes

Not a haero😁

2 Likes

Oh my lord it’s in the title, I thought it was at a glance lol

Nice either way

2 Likes

It’s the same length though…it would look the same with a Bro from the side

1 Like

I thought it was at first glance too

1 Like

Now with added flap c/o: @SabreDynamicsSabre Blades :boom:

HeavyWeather_SabreBlades1
HeavyWeather_SabreBlades2

The DWII has a very contoured footbed and the Blades are pretty pronounced. When I first held them into position to get a feel for placement and fit, I was a bit concerned that they might be a bit too much. Looking back, I think it’s got more to do with how accustomed I was to the feel of the deck and how noticeable the difference felt because it already feels like second nature.

So I took it for a good rip and hit some deep carves and it’s feeling really good! Definitely more comfortable and reassuring underfoot. I’m getting more purchase on the lean for sure - especially toeside - but I think what’s more striking is the added sensation of control than any significant change in dynamics. I just feel much more planted and connected. Very happy!

17 Likes

:kissing_heart: :pinched_fingers: inspiration

2 Likes

Filling in a few gaps in this build thread now that I’m considering selling it…

First I replaced the big motor bearings…

Then its second Unity blew up on me as I hit the gas on corner exit. Witness my deep despondency…
Blown Unity

…so @SabreDynamics modded the 3DS heatsink so I could fit a DV6 Pro…

…with some sexy yet insanely overpriced red bolts…
Casemod

The DV6 Pro is just so impressive coming from a Unity…

It totally over-performed at that track day. I actually had to detune it a fair bit cos getting on the power out of the corners always spun up the back wheels and sent me spinning.

Here’s a few flying laps (including a spin):

6 Likes

The turns on the track were gnarly!

2 Likes

:astonished:Oouch yeah that turn at 3minute02 was especially gnarly !!