Down bad AF 4 reviews of big daddy Hoyt 5" hubs/tires & testing of 5" tires on other hubs

I nominate @ShutterShock for a review. He’s done plenty other videos and goes well in-depth. Or give somebody new a try.

3 Likes

He said no self nominations and so far thats all we’ve gotten smh

I’m buying my own set as soon as they are confirmed to fit on trampa hubs (7in)

1 Like

The 5" definitely no given they are about 4" in diameter only leaving 1/2" or less for tire. We considered initially (long story) but felt we’d lose a lot of shock absorption and end up with a lot of pinch flats and rim dings. I’ll check on the 7"s this afternoon and advise.

4 Likes

i remember jeff saying the ID of the tire isn’t going to work with MBS/Evolve/Trampa. Unless he changed his mind on the design…

1 Like

Thanks, Im willing to buy the hubs if needed.
Just need to find a bearing that will allow my Matrix II’s.
I would prefer not to build a new board to ride these, but It can be done.
Also love what you have been doing so no issues supporting the cause, I will find a use for them.

1 Like

Just checked. They no not. OD for trampa-esque rims is slightly over 4", our rims OD is slightly under 5". 7" tire ID is ~4.25’, 5" tire ID is 3".

3 Likes

Given the OD/ID measurements noted earlier, do you want us to loan you a set of rims to make evaluation easier? I’d hate for the assessment to go off the rails because we tried to force them onto a random rim.

3 Likes

That’s gonna be a pretty thin bearing right, since the standard bearing od is 22, and matrix 2 is 12mm axle

I think someone tried to put urethane on the matrix 2, @Boardnamics wasn’t it one of your customers, do you remember what bearing they used

If I’m not mistaken, I think I saw that the Hoyt 5" hubs have a 22mm bearing seat and the 7" hubs have a 28mm bearing seat.

1 Like

If it helps the cause, I will put them on and rip them as hard as I possibly can. (facts!)

5" bearings: 22mm x 7mm, 8mm ID.
7" bearings: 26mm x 8mm, 10mm ID.

3 Likes

26mm OD? Is that right?

1 Like

6000bearing is 26mm OD 10mm ID 8mm width

1 Like

yes

3 Likes

Now I need to buy the larger Hubs! and wait for this to arrive… ehhh…

I also nominate Mario, and I’d be happy to help get them on his board.

1 Like

So what hubs do they fit? Bergs? Weight wise plastic hubs would be best for sure.

1 Like

At the moment I think Hoyt tires only fit Hoyt hubs

2 Likes

That’s too bad…

1 Like

No it’s brilliant actually. If you want the tires, buy the hubs, and if not, make your own. This is great for the community in general, I am sure other vendors will design hubs to fit these tires. We have not had a new tire option in this community for years. I imagine Hoyt has a solid $30-50k invested into making these, if not a lot more(design/testing/mold/moq costs) it is extremely expensively to make a new tire, so freaking cuddos to Jeff!!! Woooooot! Can’t wait to see what they feel like.

I am wondering why the smaller tire is said to be limited to 28mph? @JJHoyt what sort of things happen if you go faster?

5 Likes