Hall sensors aftermarket modification

Except sensors that don’t break.

Lemme correct myself, startup is loud af.

1 Like

Yeah I only ventured into FOC because the sensors on one motor were broken, making sensored a non option

Yeah I also wish I had tubes for my wheels that don’t go flat. Doesn’t mean I’m going to downgrade to solid rubber wheels

Yeah one of the tuning parameters is basically determining how loud it is lol, the larger the voltage, the louder the sound

When you’re actually tuning it, it can be painful to listen to lol

quite the cynic outlook lol

Replacing a busted sensor is a lot of work. I’m especially suspicious of them in hub motors and the heat. If there a high heat version or anything more reliable that’s what I’m after

1 Like

To be clear I have no issue with HFI I just don’t see a reason not to use sensors if you have them. In my opinion HFI is for when your sensors break

1 Like

HFI heavily relies on differences in induction I think, there is a command you can run in the terminal before setup and according to the video, if the % difference is great enough, HFI is a good candidate

2 Likes

Haha. Or plan ahead for the break and skip them. But not as nice I guess.

1 Like

In my mind that would be like buying a motor that’s already broken So it can’t break

2 Likes

I suspect the magnet placement has to be really good. Not that I know anything about it.

1 Like

So the HFI solution reading the comments is very hit and miss. Not had a chance to look in to the encoder option yet ( I will do later ) I think it may be easier to just find somewhere that sells the hall sensors and then fit them myself.

So has anyone got a recommendation on where to get a pair from?

Just make sure you keep comparing the costs of these other options to the cost of a new motor. Include the value of your time. I often find it cheaper (for me) to just buy a new motor

I replaced a maytech hall sensor with an equivalent from digikey

I’ve had an HFI setup that did this just as well as sensors. But, and this is a large “but”, there is a lot of tuning AND luck required, and I feel like the earlier firmware versions just worked a lot better for this.

Sounds like sensors are what we should be telling people to use then.

Thanks will check them out

1 Like

Sensors have been a lot less reliable for me.

Do you have a part #?

Not off the top of my head, I just looked at the number on the existing sensors and searched for it

1 Like