Hall sensors aftermarket modification

Well that’s currently what fully sensorless is for me so that’s disheartening.

Ouf yeah, something’s wrong

The new vesctool is around the corner. Alot of improvements for setting up HFI according to Ben and Jeff.

Guess time will tell :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep. I just finished setting up HFI on my friends board and I tuned it for a while. One motor was alright, the other not as much. If you’re on any tiny single percent of a hill it will jutter, same with if you’re completely still.

Definitely don’t even think about trying to start while rolling backwards.

Nah that’s pleb shit

You’re used to worse experience. I’ve had sensored since my first board and wouldn’t want to ride another way

The reality is that HFI is annoying to setup and doesn’t work for every motor. In my own setup here I had one motor work better than another. One motor was so noisy I could barely even see the difference between the red and blue

I can post videos, will put them in my other post tonight

1 Like

Found it

Now Liam’s got nice hips, but they’re not flicking. And board is going each way from rolling the other.

You just gotta tune it good.

3 Likes

As far as I know the exact motors matter a lot.

That being said, what are the settings, can you share?

Mine is nowhere near that good. For reference, I have the bkb 6354 motors on this build

He is also still on perfectly flat ground

Edit: to be fair I’m not discouraging HFI, it’s still better than sensorless, but I guess I need more help tuning it or something lol

Put a broom handle in front of his wheel and show us him going over it from a standstill.

2 Likes

Dude he’s doin burnouts :rofl: it goes over a broom handle.

The motors are 170kv maytech sealed 6374.

Unfortunately I can’t share the settings because that board is no longer mine and i don’t have access to it.

But when I set it up, it was doing the same things you guys are describing. When Liam set it up, it worked really well.

3 Likes

Well I mean at no fault to you, that’s not very useful lol

I set mine up the same as in that video, but no cigar

I’m still not convinced. And if you need to get extremely lucky in order to have sensored level performance, then it’s not something we should be describing as “just as good”

2 Likes

And it’s still not just as good if it doesn’t work on every setup, like sensors do

This all is technically off topic, but OP seemed to have gotten his problem fixed so probably not a big deal

I was bored, so after some fiddling I got sensored level performance with my 60D+ and 140kv maytechs with almost no tuning. It was fun but I turned sensored back on because hfi is annoying.

What’s annoying about it?

“SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

It’s funny for pissing people off at group rides but it’s loud af

6 Likes

Oo. Hfi is foc but louder?

1 Like

It only makes that sound at startup

-and sub 3mph braking

1 Like

Hfi is a sensoreds alternative where no sensors are required. It’s on top of foc. Yes it’s loud as hell but funny

Your motors must just be loud then, during normal operation there is no HFI, it’s just FOC

Foc sensored Is silent and leaves nothing to be desired

1 Like

Yea I read it’s a good attempt to replace sensors which is nice. But loud at start up isn’t so nice. I’ll have to see

2 Likes