Gulveig | 35" AT Integrated deck | Custom feather remote | 12s4p | Stormcore 60D | Maytech 6374

This is super cool, I had no idea a layer of fiberglass could come out so clear

3 Likes

Check out the fiberglass work that surf-board makers do. They don’t even do gloss coats. They wet sand the surface and buff it to perfection. Because my decks don’t need to be hyrdodynamic, I don’t take it that far.

4 Likes

I bought my CNC for wood related projects. I knew it could work with aluminum, but I thought it’s capabilities were limited. Come to find out, it can mill all aluminums so long as I use the right parameters and bits. Very expensive bits. This is really going to open up some new possibilities for my designs.

For my first aluminum project I kept it simple, I just cut some clean holes in my heatsink enclosure. It worked like a champ. I like the results.

5 Likes

Last week I also wrapped up the enclosure for my remote. I like the peanut shape. If you use your imagination, it kind of looks like Mr. Peanut. The thumbstick is a little top-hat and the antenna is a cane. But seriously, it’s ergonomic and it doesn’t force you to hold it any certain way.

I epoxy inlayed the screen. This gives it a really nice professional finish while increasing sharpness and visibility. Additionally, it makes it super durable. I have a little trick that I do to get it just right. I pour the epoxy before I mill the second side. This helps me get the bubbles out. They float to the top and then I remove them when I surface it. After milling, I sand it all the way to 2000 grit. This makes it super smooth in the hand and polishes the screen. I finish it by rubbing in some tung oil mixed with some citrus solvent.

Word through the grape vine is that I might get my hands on some OSRR/Freesk8 remote electronics soon. I bought some malagasy ebony hardwood to make an enclosure, and I might even make an aluminum chassis for it. :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

I wrapped this build up and I’ve been riding. Here’s what I’ve got.

The battery is a 12s4p 18650 pack made form efast cells rated for 3500 mAh and 10-15A. So I’ve got a total of 14 Ah and 40-60A current. Enough Nickle strip was used to handle 50A and 8 awg wire was used to link the four parts of the battery together. This is my second battery build and it is an improvement over my last one, so I’m pretty happy with it. In the future I’m going to make tabs so that I don’t need to solder the wire so close to the cells’ endcaps. I welded an extra layer of Nickle to the end to help insulate them, but they probably still got some heat damage. A haltec BMS rated for 40-60A was used to tie it all together.

The motors are Maytech 6374 190kv. I was going to use some generic VESC 6 hardware, but I had really wanted to try out Lacroix’s Stormcore. I caved and bought a 60D to manage the motors. Here is a short review of my experience with it so far. I love it. It’s solid as a rock. I bet you could run it over with a car and it would still work, no problem. I haven’t put 1k miles on this thing, but the performance has been stellar. I’ve been doing a lot of hill-climbing in 90-100F weather, and I haven’t had a lag in performance like I have had with other ESCs. Also, the built in switch is dope. It changes color with the battery level. Genius. The only downside is that this is a chunky ESC, but If the performance keeps up, the size is worth it. I’ve meddled with most of the available hardware based on VESC 6, the storm-core really seems to be heads above the rest. An additional perk for people in North America is that you can get one in 3-4 days. It’s a pricey ESC, but it’s really nice.

I made a larger heat-sink enclosure because things were a little claustrophobic with the Stormcore. I used square mount-holes on this one so that I could use round-topped bolts. They fit nice and flush, and won’t snag wires. The enclosure is solidly affixed and doubles as an extra-large and very functional foot-stop.

I’m happy with this build. It turned our clean and it can boogie. The short AT deck has tight handling and has been really practical in an urban setting. The peanut remote has been the cherry on top. I’ve already started my next build. There’s a sneak peak in the last pic. 13s baby :metal:t2: :fire:

5 Likes

Oh LORD that’s a big enclosure! Looking spectacular though

1 Like

Just seeing this remote update – love that peanut!

2 Likes

It’s not that big :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Some people are riding around with suitcases between their feet.

1 Like

Bruh that esc volume to enclosure volume is like 1:10, I have boards that can fit all the electronics and battery in that :joy:

1:4 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

4:5 :ok_hand::ok_hand:

2 Likes

How big is that enclosure?

Uhh, not that big, it’s a Pelican Ruck R20