Good Deals Thread

Yup, 6374 140kv 10mm D-type, which is my shaft preference.

That has to be bait for Brian, I refuse to believe 10mm D shaft is your go-to

1 Like

I’d avoid honey. Whenever you click an affiliate link to support a YouTuber or anything, it sneakily replaces it with their affiliate link. I believe it doesn’t visibly change the url, so they’re being sneaky about it

Also the data harvesting.

I personally don’t support shitty business practices like this, and honestly honey has never saved me more than like a dollar on AliExpress. I don’t think honey has given me any significant savings, and I’ve sure as hell made them lots of money.

1 Like

Nah, not interested in messing with Brian ATM. But I really do like 10mm D.

3 Likes

i don’t think that’s possible unless the website does not show which discount code u r using, pretty sure it doesn’t work like that in amazon either.

i’ve just saved 9usd on aliexpress for my 105usd order, sure that’s not much, but it actually made the entire order free shipping

if data harvesting is ur concern, u can toggle the honey extension to never check price until u click on the icon

2 Likes

Hopefully we get some good deals this year :thinking:

websites like amazon don’t have affiliate codes, rather the affiliate info is stored in the URL. It just replaces theirs with honey

i don’t think honey can change url address, nor the data packet sent / receive. unless there is a clever trick to mask the honey affiliate url with the one u click on

Isn’t every website and app these days?

I remember seeing a video essay about Honey’s business model and this was in the video :man_shrugging:

1 Like

i will have a dig, but i also would be concerned if honey is shady and LTT is still recommending it to people :thinking:

Yeah Linus also advertises a couple of VPNs, and almost all of them are at best snake oil (privacy is a real issue, but spying from ISPs is not the biggest concern that 99% of people should be worried about and VPNs are just rent-seeking middlemen that want a recurring revenue stream) or at worst actively stealing and selling data themselves.

LTT makes a lot of noise about editorial ethics but also have mountains of sponsored spots where they repeat manufacturer talking points with a couple of “now I have to say this part isn’t the most amazing in the world” thrown in

3 Likes

i guess we can’t really trust anything these days :man_shrugging:t2:

I might be wrong, but seems like the addon has permission to do anything.

Honey claims they get their revenue from the sites sharing a profit from the purchase. Why would a site voluntarily share their money with a 3rd party? Well, ideally just because it would increase sales by convincing more people to checkout, if they have a discount code. However, I suspect that the real reason is because Honey might purposefully not apply an even better coupon code it managed to find. Which would put store owners between a rock and a hard place – either share part of the revenue, or don’t share, but let Honey save users even more money. Just a conspiracy theory I came up with, no idea if it’s true :upside_down_face:

After McAffee bought Tunnelbear they weren’t comfortable continuing their relationship with them, since McAffee is a US company. (The government could secretly demand data logs, see Warrant canary - Wikipedia if you’ve never heard about such things).

The VPN service they promote/advertise currently is Private Internet Access (PIA), which has been proven in court of law to not hold any logs. Many privacy advocates consider them the trustworthy VPN service people should use.

Just wanted to defend LTT, since they definitely do end sponsorhips when users complain / have a bad experience / sponsor cannot be trusted.

Btw this needs to be moved to derail jail, sorry everyone

2 Likes

Eeh, they are 100euros now, thats more like 20%-ish I think. Not sure if that was the price of them when you posted.

1 Like

Ah rip, yeah they were $81.50 plus 4.50 shipping from France. ~€74 at yesterday’s rates

Edit: ignore that, I thought you were replying to a different link for the ESC. The cloudwheels were ~$80

1 Like

Fuck it, made a thread for 2021

5 Likes

Love you Ben.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find much on wheels and tires, have you got any useful links?

1 Like

Well I don’t really know of any ones of like “commonly” used ones but I saw many different 9 inch tires on sale, maybe cuz of my browsing history?

2 Likes