Go-FOC G300 100V 300A

Ah, so you’re saying that the voltage sensing is still done on the phase node? Cause then I can accept the terminology. It makes sense, I’ve only seen the schematic for the filtering on phase shunts so I guess I assumed that the low side filtering was solely low side. But you’re actually refering to a voltage sampling done on the physical phase node then?

Since I come from a power electronics/electronics background a phase for me in this case, is a phase in/to the motor. So I hope you understand my reasoning.

Having a shunt low side and filtering to have better results in top or/and low end of sensing, has nothing to do with a phase to me. But I get it if thats what the function is called in the code, might just be me beeing a miticulous prick.

5 Likes

Got mine a few days back; haven’t been able to put it through some paces yet but so far it’s been solid.

Setup was a bit fraught because I did not “reset defaults” during motor detection and some of what the controller came with made it fail to run after detection. I mistakenly was worried about hitting reset because I didn’t want “Phase Filtering” to turn on as there’s an FAQ page that said it’ll fry the ESC. I did not, however, read it carefully enough at that doesn’t apply to this model. After a detection with a reset, everything is running smoothly.

Should have some metr runs in the future.

3 Likes

Holds up super well. I’m happy with the purchase. I’m not pushing anywhere close to it’s max rating (battery pack can’t supply the juice, and the motor wires would not appreciate it), but it worked great for me.

5 Likes

@chuyskywalker you esk8 also or just the bike? there are a few of us in the south bay area if you want to meet up and ride.

2 Likes

The pcb’s looks very nice with a reasonable current path. (though slightly on the thin side for this current.)
I also like using a screw cap to cover the usb port.

It’s great that the hardware config was added to the vesc firmware repository too.
hw_go_foc_g300.h

Are the db25 connectors available as a separate spare part for custom wiring jobs?

One thing I am concerned about is that the only isolation between the battery/motor phase posts appears to be 2 o-rings.
The top cover appears to be metal and it would be very easy to short out one of the posts to the case. (Either with pressure of wires causing squishing of the o-rings and the posts touching the sides. or terminals bending and touching the cover on the top)

Using a plastic top cover like many other industrial motor controllers (kelly, etc). would be ideal to fix this issue.

Also, does any dyno run data of this controller exist to show temp rise at specific currents?

Quick Question . Is it safe to have positive and negative on a full metal casing? It only has little rubber separating it from the metal casing . I am not confident about the metal casing with 72v near it .

2 Likes

I would think probably not. I would really like to see full wide plastic bushings or a plastic top cover. Even if the o-rings are enough for the posts. There is the danger that a ring terminal bends and touches the case. Or corrosion builds up and shorts out a post to the case.

This is my main misgiving with this controller. Looks really nice otherwise.

3 Likes

Anodization is an insulator, except when its scratched off.

1 Like

Every time I have seen annodisation expected to act as an insulator, especially of higher voltages, I have seen explosions. It is not a durable insulator and is easially scratched or worn through.

If the 3d model for the top cover was provided, those of us with concerns could 3d print a plastic replacement?

1 Like

Dear Maker X Tech, David,

Your website seems to be offline?
Are you still making this nice controller?

1 Like

NOTICE:
G300 uses customized firmware: If you need to update the firmware, please go to the Download Page to find the matching firmware.

:frowning: :trident:

@fessyfoo

1 Like

just more the fork i was sad about.
if they’re gonna use open source they should make an effort to push the changes back upstream into the main branches. idk maybe there’s a good reason to fork. but i get to be grumpy old man now and then. :smiley:

3 Likes

David provided me the source files and I created a pull request to the official repository which Vedder merged. He must have made some changes or something if he’s recommending the manual download.

4 Likes

Thank you sir. clearing away useless grump. shine on my day.

4 Likes

Thank you, you saved me one more day of headache lol

1 Like

This is dangerous for people who are using vesc for electric skateboards.

Why was this implemented? I’m sure vedder is aware that this is dangerous for esk8.

Im sick and tired of the vesc projects complete disregard for esk8.

3 Likes

I agree this is stupid it should always be set to the hardware max

2 Likes

@YUTW123 how many battery amps is this ESC rated for? The website says 300 phase amps (500 phase amps peak) but does not say anything about battery amps.

3 Likes