Go-FOC D100 / D75 / D60

did u flash in the bootloader before u flash in the firmware?

2 Likes

The firmware page does that automatically itā€™s not an option. It only has ā€œgenericā€ loaded in the bootloader tab

1 Like

More weirdness, just rebooted, VESCtool only sees one VESC on CAN and then I just hit ā€œdetect all motorsā€ and they both actually did something, got the message ā€œcannot write motor configurationā€ then got detection results, which actually look correct.

Wtf is going on.

It works now even though I got errors and didnā€™t see what I should have seen, and this scares me, how do I know this wonā€™t screw up halfway down a highway?

Iā€™ve never had an ESC be so untrustworthy since my last replacement tenka

1 Like

Usually the second detection can be written normally. If not, restart vesctool and ESC.

1 Like

If it makes you feel better, this is how Vesc tool acts on any dual vesc setup. Itā€™s so frustrating. Connecting to different sides of the ESC / rebooting the ESC / reflashing FW / rebooting your computer and doing other such things is how eventually you just get it to work. I also feel extremely uneasy about the thing once settings do get applied (especially if the ESC had forgotten its settings just a minute ago!), but it usually works out alright in the end.

This is why I strongly prefer single MCU ESCs these days, because those donā€™t seem to have these issues.

6 Likes

Got any pics of your solder connection?

Do we know why this happens? Is there anyone here qualified to answer this question? I donā€™t see this kind of stuff happening to any other of my devices really. So it must be solvable. Seems to be a vesc issue, not specific to any hardware

2 Likes

Does @Blasto pop his head in here nowadays? Iā€™d think he would know if anyone would

Someone could always dig through the VESC forums to see if anyoneā€™s brought this up.

Iā€™ve seen it happen more with single MCU VESCs anecdotally. But what a wacky and inconvenient problem nonethless.

2 Likes

Same. It happens quite often with unity/xenith, canā€™t remember of any reports with stormcore tho.

1 Like

Happened to my stormcore twice. Once it happened while I was working so I had to steal a Hoyt uav from a local rider to finish the delivery :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Weā€™ve seen it several times on Stormcores here at the shop.

5 Likes

could I wire this up to one ebike motor and have double the current?

I believe that is known as a super single, but (someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong) requires special firmware to run/be wired in that way.

1 Like

not only it require special firmware, it also require a single mcu dual power stage (aka phase) esc, which at the current market, only stormcore D series / xenith / unity will be able to do that

so the answer is no, not any of makerx esc can do that

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been noticing my D75 takes a lot longer to start up than any other ESC. It takes about a good 5 seconds from when I push the button to when the motors respond to the throttle. My DV6, DV6+, tenka, hobbywing and evolve ESCs all start up in a fraction of the time and all of my VESCs respond almost instantly after power on, why does the D75 take so long?

Seems pretty standard for a vesc based esc to me? What are you using it for anyway? A get away vehicle?

3 Likes

Living with chronic anxiety, every vehicle is a getaway vehicle.

And this VESC is noticeably, painfully slower to start up than anything Iā€™ve ever used before.

then donā€™t turn it off

1 Like

Maker-X made that not an option. Auto-off after 10 mins and thatā€™s not a changeable setting.