Ghosts in the Machines [SRO]

Maybe @jaykup or @MysticalDork have ideas too

4 Likes

We have so many smart & talented folks in this community- I don’t think most folks realize how good we have it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

My only thoughts against this are that the maytech remote I use is dumb and will send whatever the last command was when signal was lost. Usually this results in me slowly rolling towards an intersection until signal restores and brakes kick in (suuuuper scary). This time, I was intentionally holding the throttle gently, knowing this design flaw, so that I didn’t floor it in to traffic. Instead, I started cruising slowly and then actually started getting some braking (not just board turning off).

So it’s ghosts annnnnnd…

3 Likes

This sorta coincides with my weird stormcore issue on the 4wd. The single motor was preventing my stormcore from booting. And was stuck in a loop

surprised-pikachu

You’re not even the first person to describe this behavior in this thread. :joy: @Skyart described similar issues above.

Edit: wait I think he was using a Maytech VX1

Maybe this thread should serve a running list of unsolved ghost mysteries rather than just the traffic sensor weirdness.

1 Like

12 Likes

You already admitted to not seeing any ghosts, jerk!

I bet you’re not even a licensed Ghostbuster.

2 Likes

Ooooof that sounds scary. Thankfully and unfortunately this only happened one time and when It did I sacrificed my first ever longboard deck I ever purchased :smiling_face_with_tear: it had no chance against that f250

2 Likes

Just to throw out a theory. There is likely a pcb trace or wire on the Stormcore that just happens to be the ideal length to pickup the frequency of the inductive signal. Antennas are optimal at 1/2 or 1 times the wavelength (wavelength being speed of light divided by frequency), although 1/4 wavelength is also a good one.

Anyway, that wire acts as an antenna applying a +/- voltage to a mosfet gate or transistor base, momentarily holding it open/closed and causing the reboot.

The solution is to shield that wire or change its length

7 Likes

But I was possessed when i got lost in the cemetery that night. I reappeared across the bridge from y’all’s :joy:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried to go and recreate these issues at the exact same lights? And spots? Would be interesting to see if it happens again to the same hardware and also to see if other hardware is more robust against it

1 Like

Thats would be my go to step, even better to have some RF shielding on a second board to confirm that it really is RF interference.

1 Like

I’m going to drag @jack.luis around Portland like a blood boy and do some human testing. Starting at the same spots we found issues last time.

I wish my board was impacted so I could test myself. I wonder if bringing a 100D + battery to a test location could yield any additional data.

1 Like

I can send you a board to go test with :joy:

3 Likes

Good idea, you could even hook up a logger and record what the ESC is doing. Maybe with a paralleled power source to it, for unexpected shutdowns.

1 Like

i guess just bring a few different vesc to test it out if others also suffer the same thing?

1 Like

I have more ESCs than Robogotchis at the moment :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

Honestly you wouldn’t even need them on functioning boards if your hypothesis is correct. Just bring a bunch of ESCS with a receiver and a set of motors and sit there for an hour testing all of them. A lot more space efficient this way.

1 Like

bring a traffic cone to be safe

3 Likes

It’s Portland, they will just lounge in the street if I look confident enough in what I’m doing. Probably apologize for interrupting. :joy:

4 Likes