Ghosts in the Machines [SRO]

It’s pretty weird that it was ONLY stormcores to have the issue

My makerx and other people’s ESCS’s were fine

Also - how has no one noticed this before? There are inductive sensors all over the place

5 Likes

Remember I was running dual 100S without issue.

Wonder if roll-to-start is a factor? I don’t think the 100S has the capability.

If this is actually caused by the traffic sensors, I’m sure others have noticed it and perhaps chalked it up to gremlins. Hopefully this thread will pull others experiences out of the woodworks.

1 Like

I have one note to add.

I rode a stormcore 60D for the first time a week before carve.

It was flawless except for one time we pulled up in the parking lot to the side of Lumen Field Stadium where I got off the board for 10min and afterwords it had lost all it’s settings needing motor and app reconfigured.

I know this can happen randomly but I found it interesting that it happened in an area with a shit ton of radio signals and whatnot.

3 Likes

Eh, there’s a lot of VESC’s that can’t even do 300 phase amps combined, that’s a pretty lofty target isn’t it?

Anyways, since this topic seems pretty important and data is everything, I haven’t ever experienced anything of the sort, but i’m in texas and the induction loops or whatever they’re using barely detect motorcycles, so it’s probably less of a concern for me. It’s gotta be something specific with the induction loops over there for you guys being different, whether it’s how they function or the strength they’re working at. That’s still pretty sketchy that a bunch of stormcores are all having this issue though, normally they’re my go-to recommendation for a bulletproof setup that won’t die. I wonder what the difference is in function that isolates the issue to them?

2 Likes

@Ac53n what kind of ESC are you using? Stormcore? (Just confirming)

Yeah not a bad thought- trying to see what I can find out about the company/equipment today.

That was a 60d+ I think after that happened I switched to 5.3 now

1 Like

Ah whoops, forgot to mention that part haha. I’m currently on a spintend, but I know a couple guys here on lacroix naz’s who haven’t ever experienced anything of the sort either local to me. I’ll go try and test shoving my enclosure down on an induction loop near my place, see if i can get any weirdness to happen but honestly it sounds like there’s gotta be some extra strong sensors combined with some weird functionality on the stormcore.

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

I can at least confirm that the issue hasn’t affected my lingyi ESC on an inductive loop that was intentionally made sensitive enough that bikes (not just motorcycles) can set it off. Used to use it all the time before I moved and never had any issues with my ESC. Granted, it isn’t the same light that prompted this issue, but it is still relevant.

4 Likes

I think I was there when this was happening and I didn’t experience it. I was on an older Spintend UBOX at the time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional data points!

I have a loose & currently unfounded hypothesis that roll-to-start feature might have something to do with it. I wish we had some schematics on these ESC.

This is the kind of thing that if it happened to one person one time I’d not think twice about writing off to Gremlins. But we saw it happen at least twice to multiple people.

Really weird!

1 Like

i have a question, if these coils affected esk8, what about ebikes if they were meant to detect bikes? i know u can pedal to get out of affected range, but launch start is all the fun

1 Like

Currently the hypothesis is that only the 60D/100D are impacted, as that’s the only hardware we’ve seen this occur on. And even then, @bboybowzer was there with the same kind of stormcore and didn’t have issues (though I can’t recall if he was also sitting on top of the traffic sensors waiting for the light in the same spot, or further back).

There’s also a good chance we’re way off base here and it was remote interference. Not enough data to know yet.

1 Like

That ESC was supposed to have the roll to start feature but it either never worked or was never even a feature for that version of the ESC. My current Lingyi has the roll to start but I’m in Texas now where bikes are treated like jokes and also many lights don’t even have functional inductive loops for cars. So I unfortunately can’t do any testing with it.

The controllers on ebikes are typically much higher up than where we put them on esk8s and so you’d likely never encounter the issue with them. The signal would be too weak by the time it reached the controller to effect anything.

5 Likes

Definitely not, I very much witnessed a boot loop and intermittently only having one side move when given throttle

2 Likes

Well that’s also good information to know. I didn’t actually see the ‘boot loop’ that these were stuck in. Was it the power switch led flashing every X seconds?

I’m just trying to keep an open mind because this is all anecdotal observations without any measured data/testing. It’s easy to tunnel vision the wrong root cause if we don’t keep an open mind.

Also after @ShutterShock showed up with his super illegal VX4 I lost faith in everything. :joy:

3 Likes

Will wait for u guys to investigate more. We dont have those coils around here, so it’s interesting to see these tech

1 Like

So I did experience this, at the bottom of the graveyard with the ghosts with everybody else at the first occurrence that we all noticed, when five boards started boot looping while others were unaffected… Once moved out of the area of the board worked fine (street bro 18s5p stormcore 100D ii)

I also was affected when going over the bridge and hitting the high point, my experience was it seemed like I went from having throttle, to a slight breaking drag… Continued password. The issue began and it went away ( mountain bro 18s lipo)

ALSO: last year at Carve, while in route back to the other side of the river where our hostel is, actually on the other side of the river going under and overpass, no lights around. Only traffic control devices were stop signs, I experienced the exact same description of what I put above that I experienced on the bridge where it felt like I lost throttle and went into light breaking, it only did it for a second or two at most, and then went back to normal.

In all of the cases, both the boot looping and the two that were while I was riding, I could not find any discernible data in the robogotchi logs

3 Likes

Just to add to this: if we think about how these work, it’s using power from the motor back EMF coming in from the phase cables to bootstrap the stormcore logic on.

So I’m wondering if the energy being radiated from the inductive loop sensor could be enough to interfere with the power-latching from roll to start?

I need someone smarter than me to shoot this hypothesis down. The biggest doubt I have in it is that the amount of energy being radiated is enough to actually get picked up by the phase cables/motors and create impact.

@Battery_Mooch @linsus @Deodand @Blasto help us plebs understand?

5 Likes