Gear drives, anyone use a single?

I’ve been thinking about my short board build, I really wanted to diy a gear drive system but the fatboy nano urethane is just about perfect for my build, but to keep weight down I was thinking about using one and selling the other. Has anyone done this? I’m unfamiliar with the gear ratios I honestly can not remember what wheel pulley I have on my dickyho setup, less torque would not be ok.

Linny has a single gear drive, might only have bought one though.

could also just count the teeth on your dickyho gearing and try to match it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yea, i have another one but not in use. The gearing for the Avio urethane gear drive is 17/45. I recommend only 107mm wheels and above however due to clearance from the gearbox.

The Arc Aileron v2 is a single gear drive.

2 Likes

Personally I think geardrive makes a lot of sense on single drive builds because on a belt setup you’d have 2x less belt width to distribute the torque, so gear drives, which don’t slip, are a perfect solution.

4 Likes

Which drive are you using Linny? The same one I’m interested in?

Nvm saw it’s a avio

Yep, let me know if you are interested. I don’t have a use for it at the moment and i have the front and rear truck + the drive.

@Linny your Kushboard Jr made me want to make a similar short range light set up too,
is it easy to kick push with the gearing and wheel size you have?
really like the idea of something I can push if needed

Ill be building a single gear drive for my wife

For my case, i’m using 107mms so its a bit higher off the ground. However, kick pushing feels almost the same with a normal longboard due to little to zero drag from the drive system. 107mms and kick pushing it almost feels like doing a half squat every kick tho :stuck_out_tongue:

awesome, thanks,
getting your squat exercises all on one side!

I have a single drive as well. It works pretty great, and like @Linny said, 107mm and above for clearance purposes.

It has worked great in my experience, but I would recommend a 6374 motor for performance reasons.

The new foamies from slick revolution look like a great wheel choice.

2 Likes

@3DServisas is a reasonable guy, i expect he would do you a deal on a single drive :slight_smile:

1 Like

4000w single

3 Likes

Whoa what’s that bad boy measure? No gear lube?

1 Like

72/9 mod.8 1250kv. Torque steer is what drove me to making the 3link.
A precision truck would be a huge improvement

1 Like

Nice!
I’m guessing the drive shaft is one piece?
or is there some kind or miraculous tiny differential in the middle?

One wheel peel. Precisision truck greatly reduces torque steer on a single drive.

awesome, thanks
I haven’t finished building mine yet,
going to be interesting to feel the how different a single drive is

No problems running those gears dry? Do they get hot?