Gathering Storm | Trampa HolyPro | Dual 64110 | 10S5P | VESC 6 | Hypertrucks + Falcon | Submersible

And just need slime in the tires and it’s done.

It was a good journey until here, lot of work involved, I always say that, but next build will be simpler

Tomorrow we ride at dawn

12 Likes

Some nice pics

14 Likes

First ride, it’s awesome, but I took really easy and just a quick ride

Still don’t know why location isn’t working

6 Likes

Awesome that it works, and maybe check the location settings in the metr app maybe showing the location when uploading the log isnt enabled

1 Like

It is probably because I had set a minimum GPS precision, and these days GPS reception was really bad

Had a few scary moments with my drone due to that

2 Likes
1 Like

I was reading @malJohann discussion about a fuse and realized I completely forgot to install the fuse on the battery :astonished:

4 Likes

What fuse do you plan on using? (Plz link it)

I figure my build could use one too :thinking:

1 Like

I have one of these that I got in a local car audio shop

To be fair I have to open the board and check if in the end I’ve installed it or not, I really can’t remember

EDIT: I’m and idiot lol, had to check my own topic to find it

5 Likes

And let there be light

Took more than time than I would like to admit but it think it turned out pretty nice
I’m running all leds in séries at 700 mA, around 12 W total and 1000 lumens if the datasheet is to be true

I may have a heat problem and need to do a V2, it’s gets pretty warm, the idea was to use the base plate as a heat sink, I have thermal compound between every surface, but the curved section is thin
Also elf eyes will note that I have 3 different color temperatures, warm, neutral and cool, it’s what I had on hand, and unfortunately 3 of the 5 lens cracked when I was screwing it closed

Now I need to make a housing to cover both DC-DC converters, one to step down the battery voltage to the maximum of the CC/CV one of 35 V, maybe see if I can house them bellow the deck

8 Likes

First night ride with the light, turns out it’s nowhere near enough, I need something like 4 times the brightness, time to hunt some more powerful LEDs

I think these DC-DC converter will handle, right now at 700 mA they are cold to the touch, the light itself not so much, can’t keep my finger on the back aluminum for more than a few seconds

4 Likes

I’m looking for non-shitty way to secure one or more external batteries, I would love to just use magnets, but unfortunately 304 isn’t magnetic to clip it directly to the top of the battery case

First step was to have and idea of the force we expect on it, looks like the acceleration on a hard jump is around 1g, so considering 3g as a safe number should be good

I have two 10S3P that I would like to make them module to use with this and other e-things, with a case and everything 3.5 kg should be a good bet, so we are looking at around 100 N of vertical force needed to keep everything in place

I have a bunch of round 5x5 mm N52 magnets, magnet to magnet considering a non ideal situation of a 1 mm gap we have 5 N for each pair

3 Likes

Long overdue update

New light is working great, bearings got brand new bearings and finally I cut the shaft and placed the mount closer to the wheel

One thing that is bad is that one motor is making a really bad noise at certain rpm, I thought it was the bearings, but it isn’t, only thing I can imagine is that the magnets are slightly loose and vibrating again the can, what do you guys think? Shame I didn’t test before glueing the pulley in place, see the video below

9 Likes

Took the courage to disassemble everything again, I hadn’t realized it is the motor I had already fixed, half of the magnets were loose and the other half was removed without too much effort

I thought the glue would hold, but obviously it didn’t, it was a rubberized super glue that is good up to 110°C, but I guess it cracked

Now I will use a two part epoxy and first glue them back and battle harden with a second layer, and to do thing right I’ve taken apart the hole can so everything can be sanded clean

6 Likes

Looks like this epoxy will hold, but it cures way too fast, managed to put only 3 magnets before it harder, will have to do in steps, and wasted a ton of it

3 Likes

Such a mess, lot of sanding will be needed, not doing that again

4 Likes

What a difference the new bearings made, I think I never had a board this silent, the motors were already used when I installed here

I don’t know if I did anything else but you can barely hear the belts also, so the tension is spot on, you easily hear the tires sound on the street

And accelerating from a dead stop has the cool spaceship sound I had forgot existed

4 Likes

That’s a massive amount of epoxy :sweat_smile:
How did the sanding down work out?

5 Likes

With a sore hand lol

First I tried mounting it to a drill press, but even that would take a long time to sand

In the end I used a really coarse round wood file to take all major bumps, testing a bunch of times

Also I had to mill a bit of the motor mount, the circlip was hitting it and making noise

3 Likes

With summer on the way, rain should start being frequent soon, or so I hope, after more than 3 months of not a drop.

This means that finishing the waterproof is a must, only the lights and the battery enclosure remained. I sprayed conformal coat on the LEDs, the driver board had already been sprayed a bunch of times, and after that seal the edges with silicone, same with the battery pack

@b264 do you ever applied grease to connectors? While I don’t see much problem with the phase wires getting wet, the sensor ones may misbehave

In a future board I plan to use this waterproof version of the GX12

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32850103487.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.50345e82te7hGN&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=a386ece0-ffdd-4bfc-aec5-9f815fbb9099&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:a386ece0-ffdd-4bfc-aec5-9f815fbb9099,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2351_668%23808%233772%23928_668%23888%233325%234_668%232846%238109%23267_668%232717%237567%23949_668%231000022185%231000066058%230_668%233468%2315615%23650

3 Likes