Fuse Welder Prototype

Hello all,

I was asked to post here, as I’m part of a few battery groups on Facebook. I’m just starting development of a spring loaded “Tesla style” fuse wire welder attachment. Currently it’s being developed for the Nano spot welder, but I’m considering building a larger version for a Kweld or Malectrics. I’d love any feedback, suggestions, or criticism on the design. Any questions, ask away! Here is a video of V1.2 welding cells together as an example. To be clear this is NOT how I will be building packs! Just an example of welding fuse to cells. V1.3 coming soon…

EDIT: To be clear this is currently NOT for sale, it is a prototype and experiement. I will likely make the STL’s available for free and possibly build them to sell once I’m happy with the design.

23 Likes

There you are!

Everyone!

GET EM
/s

Happy to welcome you to our community

2 Likes

Hmmm very interesting, I have to say, I have’t seen one in action before. Welcome btw

2 Likes

Welcome
So…are we supposed to add nickel as usual(thus making the fuse kinda useless) or is this completely unrelated to esk8s?
I don’t see myself passing 80a+ through those teeny wires

Not sure about esk8 but the way I’ve seen this used before is to promote cell level fusing, so impossible for the cell to get overloaded (the wire melts at “x” current). I’d imagine this would only be for parallel connections.

3 Likes

this would be super awesome, always great to have many options for construction of battery packs for different applications.

1 Like

The fuses link the lithium cell to a copper or nickel busbar. Each fuse by itself is sized to keep the cell safe and blow if there is a dead short or other significant problem. Running multiple fused cells in parallel to a busbar capable of 80A+ is how you’d build a pack using this particular method. Though I’ll admit, cell level fuses like these are less optimal for small, high power applications than they are for large powerwalls which is my main hobby.

6 Likes

But its main application is power cars and powerwalls. Which contain hundreds and thousands of cells. Which in turn allows for minimal amperage to pass through each cell. In those applications, I can understand the extra security of a cell level fuse. But we don’t have that luxury of space in our world

1 Like

Yeah exactly, the only thing I can think of is a thicker wire for parallel sets in like a big pelican case on a mountainboard.

I wonder what gauge it will do up to

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification and yes I can see the 80a busbar in the idea. But most used size here is 10 to 12 in series and 4 to 8 in parallel. That’s one hell of a fuse :joy:

Exactly. The fuses can be sized to the application as well. For 25A capable cells I might use a fuse that blows at 30A+ for instance. You do suffer from voltage drop, but if a cell catastrophically fails your pack doesn’t catch fire.

4 Likes

Now we’re talking. 30a per cell is getting interesting.

2 Likes

My friend saw my battery building on my story on Snapchat and he was like - man you need busbars, and I was like nah, no room.

I wonder if you could fit these with busbars in a pelican case

2 Likes

@ShutterShock ya just need a bigger case :joy: problem solved

2 Likes

In any case this simplified fuse installation system is pretty fun. But I have a hard time seeing it applied here. We like to use brand new cells and have bms’s to assure good function of our packs

1 Like

I know very little about electric skateboards, but you could easily build a low profile busbar. Guys in the powerwall groups even flatten copper pipes and bolt them together with crimped lugs for higher loads

3 Likes

We have access to thinner materials than that :joy:

2 Likes

Well a skateboard probably isn’t pulling 1000A+ either! :grinning:

2 Likes

you should check out the work that BioBoards is doing for their next gen “safest battery ever in esk8”

sorry idk where the rest of the info is but they posted more pics on their instagram I know.

1 Like

That is one gorgeous render! I’ll check it out. I have a feeling that registering here is going to send me down the rabbit hole…

4 Likes