NanoSpot Welder PSA

So… we don’t use nickel plate because of its poor current handling. If it can do .2 pure nickel then I’m good/great with that at this price point

1 Like

Ok I see in the description about the 0.2mm being a lot. So, fwiw I think the guys running the kickstarter know less about pushing this unit than a lot of the guys using the preproduction ones thus far. I’ve seen plenty of evidence this thing can handle much more than 0.2mm nickel, but don’t take my word for it.

I’m fully aware of that my man, been building packs for a long time. I’m just qualifying a large range of experience working with nickel.

Trust me, you wouldn’t want to use nickel plate. Pure nickel 201 runs about $60 a lb in plate form outside of large wholesale.

If it can do slotted .3 then I will just move on up to that. Would be good to know what the limitations are of the preproduction units

Well checkout tinkergear’s channel I linked above. He’s the one developing the accessory tips, and as I said, he welded the hell out of 1.8mm of multiple pieces of nickel plated steel (obviously bogus pure nickel some supplier sent), with two pulses.

I’ve got uses for the fuse wire tip especially for powerwall builds, so I’m buying this thing regardless. That video gives me confidence that it’s more than adequate. He’s not even running the newest model afaik, which is more powerful.

:man_shrugging:t2:

there is already a thread about this I think, or it might be more solely focused on the Fuse Welder Prototype

individual one for this is great but we should get @TinkerGear in here too!

2 Likes

Yeah it was, and back then I don’t think the Kickstarter was even open. I just mentioned it here because I almost missed it.

Didn’t think I was the only one interested in these, but maybe I am.

Either way I’ll report back with my impressions once I have the unit.

2 Likes

haha it’s so cheap i’m very temped

oman

2 Likes

For the price, you could almost chuck it in your bag as a catastrophic on the go repair next to your trusty ts-80 and multimeter.

that said, if I’m field stripping by board down to the cells, I should probably be calling an uber or ambulance instead

3 Likes

Lol had to cut and paste the rest to see wtf it said, GG. :sunglasses:

1 Like

While this device has proven itself to be able to create a weld from the review, it’s a long way from being a spot welder anyone here should consider.
This is best suited to making small 5V battery backup assemblies or other small electronics.

What differentiates it most from the main spot welder options is it’s thermal management. Batteries, cables, connectors and PCB components get HOT during spot welding. That’s where this device will fail

Consider this, a 21700b 12S5p pack I did some work on a few months ago had three layers of 0.2x10 nickel strip per series connection. The first spanned all 10 cells, the second layer 8 cells, the third layer 4-6. Thats 3 welds per cell x 24 weld locations per series connection x12 series connections. That’s 864 welds- and I had nickel on top of the P groups already. So add another 60x3 more.

Even with a KWeld, maelectrics etc, you have to stop frequently and let the device, cables and lipos cool down.

Maybe we could make an argument it has a place for repairs, but battery repair happens very infrequently and it usually requires opening a good portion of the battery.
This device won’t be good for building a pack. We also don’t know much about thicker nickel in the 0.2-0.3 range, nor do we know how it performs through 2 layers of nickel. It’s max rated to 0.15 nickel, again not a good start.

I mean, it runs at 5V off a single 18650. My maelectrics has two 3S 120C 5Ah lipos in parallel. There’s also quite a bit of discussion around battery chemistry selection for spot welding and liion is typically not the choice.

Given its size, components and cooling its functionally not possible for it not to suffer from thermal issues with repeated welds. Given that the battery, terminals and PCB are all on top of each other, this problems gonna be really bad.

Small diy work maybe. Building a battery, even a small one- I would strongly recommend against it

4 Likes

So it can do .2 pure nickel slotted if you are using the capacitors. It can do .2 non slotted if using a lipo or car battery. So 40.00 + lipo for non slotted is not bad for an entry level welder.

1 Like

This looks silly

3 Likes

Hot.
Give it a squeeze, lol

2 Likes

@SeanHacker. Now we wait.

3 Likes

we can get started without him.

can someone print a soft protective cover for this? Preferably one out of material that reduces friction?

3 Likes

No need. They already make them.

Probably going to hell for this one lol

7 Likes

I’ll try this nanospot thingy if they make it past kickstarter and into production. At the moment i have two Sunkko 7xx series units in a drawer, a sunstone cd150dpm on my bench as my daily welder and a K-Weld kit on the way. I’m always interested in battery welders though. Its one of my most used tools.

A very special hell filled with fleshlights and no penises. Not even yours.

3 Likes

All I can say is i ordered two red rockets

2 Likes

if it looks like penis… and quacks like penis…

2 Likes