FURY | For Legal Reasons, This Isn't A Motorcycle

Today I learned: I’m a professional toilet cleaner

9 Likes

Truly the backbone of society :clap:

2 Likes

Post processing on the metal parts is pretty much done. I’ve got front axle dropouts/brake mount and rear axle chain tensioner/brake mount assembled. The rear triangle and front fork can start assembly at this point

6 Likes

In order to get the swingarm assembled, I stuck the rear dropouts onto the swingarm pieces with JB Weld and screws.

With the rear wheel bolted on to the swingarm, and the pivot forgings bolted onto the frame, I went around to each pivot forging and tacked it in place with epoxy, squaring up the rear wheel in both axes with straightedges, a level, a square, and a healthy dose of eyeballin’. It’s probably fine.


The beast has its tail :love_you_gesture:

The swingarm is just tacked together though, it still needs to have the shear bridge reinforced, the suspension mount installed, and those side triangle bits boxed out.

13 Likes

This one’s the big kahuna. The large enchilada. The generously proportioned fajita. The most complicated geometry I’ll be trying to forge in this project, and the most massive at 400g for each of the 4 copies i need to make. The mold has 8 components, and the printed parts have 1.3kg of plastic and 36hrs print time in them, so hopefully they’ll survive the de-mold and i can reuse them for the -

Every print lies shattered in the dirt, as does my pride. The heap of twisted refuse stands as a monument to hubris. For when those of man, pretender to glory, are built without foundation, will not nature make her own? Beside, the lone and level sands stretch far away.

The part’s good tho :ok_hand:

17 Likes

Part 3: Unsolicited Deck Pics

The deck starts as a balsa core for the center, plywood core for the rear drop section, and paper core for the flanges

A printed tube is embedded along the underside to carry the torsion rod

The fabric is vac bagged onto it in situ, so the flanges mesh perfectly onto the frame


The torsion rod is a sheet of +/- 45 degree carbon fiber rolled around an 8mm fiberglass tube, up to a diameter of 20mm

The footpad is built on a balsa core as usual

A carbon forging is made with double flatted hole to lock onto the torsion rod, and a bunch of M6 inserts to select the leverage ratio of the mechanism

That control horn is glued up to the front of the deck, and uses a thrust bearing to keep the whole assembly from shifting back under acceleration

The rear end gets radial needle bearings to support my weight, encased in what is totally a professional bearing housing and definitely not a bunch of epoxy putty that I smooshed into arch shapes

The footpad gets some printed blocks with teflon thrust bushings to keep the assembly from sliding forward under braking

The pushrods need to be springy, since the 4bar links don’t move left a right symmetrically, so the distance between them changes as you steer. Using compression preload will also give a centering force to the front wheel, so I made springy turnbuckles with rod ends, M6 inserts, and 1mm spring wire.

If you have enough JB weld and string, you can solve most problems.

Finished deck!
20240626_225417_1

20 Likes

Can I just say, damn boy!

4 Likes

Part 4: It’ll Cure What Tails Ya

The tail frame starts off as wood core panels like the rest of the project

They all get an initial layer of flax

A bunch of laser cut parts are assembled into a set of chain tensioner mechanisms, which use captive screws to slide the rear axle back and forth

The tensioners are secured to the swingarm panels, and bolted to the wheel to ensure correct spacing

The bearing block forgings are glued onto the swingarm, in situ again to ensure correct alignment

And so the swingarm is tacked together

The empty spaces get boxed out and the entire thing goes in the vacuum bag, for 1 more layer of fabric over the arms and 4 more layers around the center bridge

Came out slightly wrinkly but whatever at this point, it was pretty hard to consolidate such a weird shape in the bag

The shock mount needs to be in a specific location relative to the pivot, so I jig it up with foamboard

The mount plates then get some big ass epoxy fillets and some carbon tow to transfer the load into the arm

And finally, the main frame gets a matching mounting lug for the shock, consisting of a couple plates of 3mm plywood for the little fork, 4 layers of flax fabric laid over the frame to spread the load, and a heap of epoxy/sawdust filler to join the two.

13 Likes

20240706_181014_1

18 Likes

After subdividing the mold into a completely reasonable 14 parts, suspension link #2 is done and most of the mold components survived :partying_face:

6 Likes