Forum Adjustments and Updates

sorry i have to run

3 Likes

[quote=“longhairedboy, post:993, topic:90, full:true”]

[quote=“JohnnyMeduse, post:990, topic:90, full:true”]

I guess it is more fun, than when you succeed

Kaleb
joking aside - this is what i see as alerts related to this particular thread. i see the Likes, Quotes, and some responses but not all responses. are you saying that there is a bug that does not post in notifications when someone replies to your post?

Yeah i’m not a fan of it. I wasn’t a fan of the quoting thing either, glad they removed that “feature”

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. If someone replies to the last comment in a thread, that user will not receive a notification that their comment has been replied to. You would also see those notifications because you are ‘Watching’ this thread and not ‘Tracking’

so in this specific instance i received notification that you replied to my post. but you submit this is b/c my post was not the last one. had you replied to damon he would not receive notification correct?

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 13.59.09 PM

1 Like

Yes correct. Was this comment replying to me? Because I did not receive a notification due to my being the most recent commenter before you

1 Like

yes

this may also be related to how “active” we are in the discussion. give it (60) seconds after this post and respond. i’ll navigate away to some other hole on the site and see if i get a notification

Maybe I’m dumb but I did receive a notification for the comment above, despite the fact that it isn’t shown as replying to me. If you go to edit your comment, it will show that your comment is replying to me. I guess the system is working as intended. Bad design still

1 Like

The Discourse development community listens to their users. If a feature or behavior is irritating enough to enough people, they will adjust it. That’s one of the reasons I try to keep us as up to date as possible.

1 Like

agree, i was alerted to your reply. good to know its a “feature” not a bug

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 14.07.44 PM

1 Like

I also don’t receive when someone “replies” to my post. I am always annoyed by that. I have to go to my comment and scroll down to see if I received any reply. If someone @me, then it works of course and also does quoting.

did you receive notification of this reply? i posted it (5) min after you

Yes, only because I am subscribed to this topic. If someone else had replied to this topic after you, then the fact that you replied to me would not show in my notification anymore.

If someone likes :heart: your post or @you then it shows up in the notification and stays.

1 Like

This is easily worked around :rofl:

1 Like

looks like by default closed topics cannot be quoted. however this git post seems to enable the functionality. what are your thoughts?

3 Likes

I think we need to enable this.

2 Likes

Can anyone get that noob questions thread sticky to go away?

I’ve scrolled through the entire topic and ( while it normally goes away after,) it refuses to go away :sweat_smile:

Is it a different type of sticky, maybe?

I’m on mobile btw

E: I just had to tap on the thumbtack button… Nevermind. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

If they make it part of the main branch that gets published to the repositories we pull our updates from then it will work its way into here, but i’d rather not patch anything in seperately, it could potentially bork future updates from the current maintainer’s stream.

3 Likes

It appears it’s already been merged into the mainline and we already have the commit. After looking at the code, I figured out how to use it…

Instead of opening a new browser tab and finding the old closed thread to quote — like this one for example — Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀 — that doesn’t work because the thread is locked, disallowing replies, which disallows quoting as well.

But if you simply search for the thread from the top bar (don’t paste a URL into the browser) in the same browser tab as the reply you are typing then you can quote the closed thread that way.

Thanks @wandagoner for finding that commit

6 Likes