Forum Adjustments and Updates

we now have 6 vCPUs and 16 gigs of ram, upgraded from 4 and 8 respectively. I also updated the forum to the latest version, and during that process there was an upgrade to the database.

Lets see how far this gets us.

8 Likes

3 Likes

It’s already way better on mobile for me.

3 Likes

I just felt a sudden urge to increase my patreon contribution… so whatever you did worked :joy:

5 Likes

the upgrades were serious enough that it wouldn’t let me do it from the control panel, had to go into the console. I suspect they fixed something big.

@longhairedboy - to clarify are you staying that the additional upgrade last night at 9pm EST included the software stack upgrade as well? just wondering if i should re-do the Post-Val for the 502 errors or if what i did last night reflects the most recent version of the Forum stack.

additionally do we have access to a performance matrix similar to what Splunk provides? would be interesting to see what is happening when we get the 502 errors.

3 Likes

last night: resized virtual server to increase available cpu and ram

This morning: upgraded forum stack to the latest package. That involved a PostgreSQL upgrade and a bunch of database cleanup according to what I saw flying past me in the console, which required another rebuild command after it was completed.

splunk?

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks will do another brief post-val later this am

It ingest logfiles for analysis, I really like it

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Guess I have some reading to do.

1 Like

to be clear - my intent wasnt to give you a task but rather ask what tools we have available and provided an example as reference.

not much, short of giving somebody shell access. I googled around for some kind of diagnostics plugin but came up empty.

1 Like

This one looked interesting. More for mod/admin tools. Less for debugging. The log viewer provided as part of the stack is likely sufficient for our needs.

That one looks pretty great, actually. I’ll see if I can get it installed soon.

3 Likes

I wish there was a transparent edit and an opaque edit. Sometimes you want people to see what changes you made and sometimes not. Deletion would fall in that second category.

4 Likes

In my experience the newest update made the Forum noticeably slower. Pictures take forever to load if not cached and new comments loading while scrolling won’t progress. Refreshing/or visiting somebodys profile then backing out solves it for a moment.

250mbps Internet speed.

1 Like

Same, I’ve been left waiting for a minute or two occasionally when I want to load the homepage or a PM that I havnt opened in awhile :man_shrugging:t2:

Not a big deal though, YouTube has my back :joy:

1 Like

Is it possible to save different threads under folders for private bookmarking?

1 Like

i do not believe discourse supports bookmark folders, would be quite handy though. maybe pop over to the discourse forum and add your request to the discussion on feature requests

1 Like

It has probably been discussed before, but I did not find anything relevant for statistics when searching. Do we have any statistics of numbers of users etc?

1 Like