Focbox Unity issues

TestFlight planned?

4 Likes

The issue I’m getting with my Unity might be the same one from those falling down at high speeds.

If I go full throttle I get to top speed 55km/hr really fast, so fast that as soon as I get to 55km/hr I feel the brakes slowing my acceleration drastically in order to avoid overspeeding, one motor usually stops accelerating faster than the other one, this causes my board to push me to one side and could even make me fall if it not 100% focused controlling my weight balance.

Is this the same thing you guys have been experiencing?

3 Likes

Alan I wont hit 55kmh any time soon, working on 50kmh/30mph at the moment but not enough panties :poop:

Traction control doesn’t help at high speeds?

@sofu wow! Can we take this as a preview on android aswell? Same design on the way? Love what I see.

1 Like

Yes 5c

5 Likes

Hi I have the unity on order with the rspeck motors, ( preordered about 2 days after finding other forum). So this will be my first build was wondering if anyone has advice about whether to maintain my order or should i look at alternate parts? Im leaning towards ditching the drives and keeping the unity atm. Any input appreciated.

there are smart people working on the fix for the issue, which i mind is in the minority. I have a unity and its been working flawlessly. i trust that jeff and co can find a fix for the poeple that are haiving issues.

the unity simplifies a lot of parts of a build and as a first time builder you should stick to it as it will make your life easier. anyways that just my 2cents.

4 Likes

…but there will be no fix if there is a hardware issue, what is not to exclude.
just my 2cent:kissing_heart:

how do you know its a hardware issue?

don’t know, just mentioned it could be

1 Like

Whilst the R-Spec hubs are the most powerful, they are not the most reliable. I have used hubs from 3 different companies Maytech, generic Chinese (similar to Meepo, Ownboard etc.) and Enertions.
Enertions Urethane is quite bad, the hubs really get hot after a short period of time.
If you are set on Hubs or Direct Drives I would take a close look at Torqueboards DD or ask @rey8801 if he is going to run another groupbuy, has a set of his DD, Hubs left.
Another alternative would be the Elofty DD.
I personally, after building so many Hub driven boards, purchased a Gear Drive and vastly prefer that to any Hubmotor.

1 Like

This is correct. My issue with the lower 75kv? Was the little stutter issue that @Toughook mentioned. I had to go on an extended leave so the unity build was left back pending at home. And now I’m so damn busy I can only watch the shit show. I’m sure the issues will ultimately be sorted out but like others have said, it kind of ruins the ride to worry the whole time. I think what bothers me the most is that if I want to cancel my pending Easter orders until the issues are DEFINITELY GONE I get charged a 20% cancellation fee. My input means little right now since I have yet to try the new firmware updates.

2 Likes

Thanks, I really am starting to see that the research i did before purchase wasnt extensive enough. Probably should have gone for belts or gears for my first build but was seduced by the hype and plug and play aspect of the r speck
I actually have purchased elofty dd because i got sick of waiting for the rspeck and was thinking of making 2 boards. Will look into gears and belts more closely but because they seem to be more tried and tested tech. I think this hobby is gonna send me broke if i don’t get smart with what i buy.

1 Like

Belts/gears > direct drives

ALWAYS!

4 Likes

Coming from a total noob/ignorant to technical stuff background, so I apologize if im using the wrong terminology.

I wonder if unitys locking up has anything to do with the low speed break fix, that was (if I remember correctly) adjusted by vedder to not use 32bit floating point operations to not overload the VESCs MCU. Jeff?

Did Jeff’s final implentation on the Unity make these changes to not use 32 bit floating point operations?

I’ve used Jeff’s break fix on the standard focbox, and maybe it was my receiver because my focboxes kept logging when it happened, but I had a pretty bad random lock up myself, only after a long time using the modified low speed break fix firmware.

It’s probably my receiver or Nano-X itself, but if major changes were made to break detection code and people are getting random locking breaks, maybe this is something for Jeff to look into.

1 Like

Bruv… Are you sick or something? You went that whole post without a lude or rude comment… I’m a little scared right now lol

4 Likes

I think that’s most of us bud. I’ve lost so much money over the years in this hobby. When I was reading the last few weeks of unity posts from the other forum I wondered, “if my first electric skateboard ride had thrown me off, would I have ever kept riding?” Oh yeah, I had a Marbel. Broke down on me the first few miles coming down twin peaks ending with me rolling into a parked car. But those first few on an electric board was enough to have me hooked.

1 Like

I will leave this here as a warning!!

Quote @Jinra: ’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but there’s a bug even on official VESCs where if you exceed the PWM value, it will cutout.

This is wrong info! VESC FW does not do this. I always configure in slow mode and switching to fast only makes the throttle very responsive and short. However, always configure in fast mode if you have the option.

The described issue happens if you use Ackmanicks modified FW and his ESC-Tool, since it is programmed to activate failsafe when signal goes beyond 100+x %. I don’t know if a similar feature is part of the Unity UI.

For given reasons, we never implemented such a behaviour, because false calibration of remote would cause unexpected cutouts at speed. We don’t recommend to use modified FW since these “useful hacks” can have downsides you you don’t expect to happen. A Fast/Slow switch on a PPM remote is a really bad idea! A failsafe that is triggered at 120% signal is also a bad idea. The combo of both is potentially hurtful. Power output should always be changed in the Configuration of the ESC.

Benjamin knows his code front to back, and he knows why he doesn’t implement certain features that appear useful but come with drawbacks or risks. A fork always bears the risk that modifications are made without deeper knowledge of the matter. VESC-Tool is a highly complex software and only Vedder himself knows all the corners and dependencies. Some things might work for certain HW combinations, but users plug together all sorts of things and expect the system to work.

12 Likes

I have a power meter inline with my battery from when I used a basic speed controller, and it reads up to 17A when the max battery amps it set to 10A on the Unity…what gives? I’m getting so much sag from that much draw that it reads 21% on the HUD when it goes up to 94% when I let it rest

haven’t read through this whole thread, did a search for “switch” but nothing came up.

so, question is, the power switch on unitys, has it been working for everyone? or are we still doing loop keys?

I think @pjotr47 below his switch on the unity.