Focbox Unity issues

If they are accepting that people have been injured then a test bench should take a few hours. At least duplicate the setups and firmware versions that have experienced shutdowns. When the lawyers discover esk8 they are going to have a field day.

2 Likes

THIS is what i’m after. Twin VESC-X / FocBoxes over CAN bus did this very nicely. Power went from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip. This shit is important on carvey trails that often have loose debris or slime on the pavement. It’s also important when throwing dirt during a road-side burnout int he grass.

2 Likes

Nobody questioning it. We just say that not all people who scream now my have the same issue and it’s not always the unity. Like as min one guy from yesterday which had a shitty connection with his remote in the end.

4 Likes

In my experience, that’s exactly what the unity traction control does.

Then we also need some ABS… I’ve had my wheels slip durbing braking (usually when raining)

2 Likes

yes… ABS brakes would be dope. The pulse frequency would need to be carefully thought out though.

6 Likes

This is actually easier than you would think. You just match it to girly scream frequency.

5 Likes

Afaik TC was in the app forever? But I would rather have it under motor settings than hidden in the remote calibration screen.

Looks like not all cut outs been fixed :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Damn for the first time I had real confidence with the unity on my board yesterday…

i had real confidence in my diyeboard’s esc…

2 Likes

You wanna know what confidence looks like?

My first baby ofc.

Featuring ground breaking features such as:

3D printed 120mm wheels (PETG+TPU).
500+KM used and beaten SK3 motor. Purchased used. It was rattling and jumping.
X-Car BEAST ESC. Sheer power of 6S.
6S supplied by used and considerably puffed 3S 20C 5Ah Zippy LiPos.
Shitty wiring that was based on hot glue and electrical tape.

Full season(at least 800km) of riding. Not a single issue.

~55km/h recorded maximum speed.

Cut outs? None.

Shitty quality factor? Holy shit yes.

What did my unity tell me after I put it in my heavily planned 2k€ baby?

Fuck you. That’s what it said.

13 Likes

Or my TB vescs… I run them in FOC 12s. Never ever any issue and everyone said they will fail.

I just cant get my head around how the unity testers didn’t experience any of these issues!? I mean no one pushed the thing to its limits or hit full throttle on an incline? Impossible! I think thats the main reason why nobody gets any unitys at the moment… they suspect a hardware issue which wasn’t present in their prototypes.

2 Likes

There is also the issue of some Unities having crappy (?) bluetooth modules that drop connectivity and refuse to reconnect. Some users are reporting that the 23.43 firmware fixed the issue, but not for all.

Oh and has anyone mentioned yet how your warranty is void if you replace the XT60 to a XT90 or swap the phase plugs to 5.5mm ones to match like 99% of the motors on the market. Jeez… I’m surprised removing it from the packaging it came in didn’t void my warranty… :roll_eyes:

And my biggest issue of them all, they are marketing the Unity with iOS app since day one of pre-orders and providing none. Sure, they have their shit up on GitHub, but do they expect their customers to own a Mac, have an active Apple Developer licence, install QT and compile the code for their phones themselves?
Was a major selling point for me when I decided to pre-order mine back in the day, iOS support (doesn’t exist) and built in bluetooth (doesn’t work).

I wonder what’s next? My board is gonna lock up at full speed and throw me into the traffic? Neat.

Platinum warranty allows to replace the connectors. I have mine with XT90, 12 gauge phase wires, and 4(4.5?)mm bullets. Will I use it ever again? Nah. Waste of money on connectors.

Yeah, I think that’s the first thing they want want you to do foolishly - replace the useless connectors so that your warranty is void and if something craps itself you can’t do shit about it… Unless you paid extra for warranty that Enertion has every right to nullify if they feel like it. Yay.

Not defending Enertion here, at all, but no one needs to replace connectors. It takes like thirty minutes or so to make adapters with a solder iron and some heat shrink.

4 Likes

Or just change th bullet connectors on your motors. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

yeah i wasn’t brought on to work on the iOS app until a while after the unity’s release. Jeff was clearly overloaded so idk why the messaging around it implied there would be one on release or anytime soon afterwards.

Anyways here’s a very very early preview of the app so y’all know I haven’t just been doing nothing… yes it’s a brand new design and implementation, yes it’s native, yes it’ll have all the stuff y’all have been asking for (info display for everything, fault alerts, ride tracking, full unity config, etc)

To clarify what the accessories under the two main stats up top are, anything connected via canbus with the new unified canbus accessory protocol will be able to be ID’d there and config’d right from this very app. Still figuring out what the v1 protocol will look like…

17 Likes

Oooh! Brilliant! :heart:

If I recall correctly, I think I saw a mention in one of the Enertion newsletters for a planned release for fall of this year. :thinking:
In no way am I blaming you @sofu for the lack of an iOS app, merely ranting about Enertions marketing since pre-orders went live and the lack of promised features that mainly got me to order it in the first place (which I’ve been waiting for months).

Looking good! Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

This is fantastic, love it

2 Likes

yeah, fall release is still on track. I want to release an “alpha” so to speak soon that only has monitoring features (ride tracking, stats, faults) with the code to write anything to the unity disabled so no chance to fuck anything up, so that at least there is something out there for iOS users. Then I will release updates adding more and more unity config options until eventually the config options are 1:1 with the focbox UI on android. Somewhere along the way the new Monitor for Android will also be shown off/released/whatever neil has planned for that

6 Likes