Focbox Unity issues

Yes I know. It happened to me as well.
But making sure to click read settings before redoing the calibration and setting new values seem to have worked for me for some reason. Never had the problem again.

Jeff who? I have not posted about it yet but I will if I get chance today

The Dude…

1 Like

oh you mean @Deodand

1 Like

in terms of motor direction, when you do the calibration in the app it does the bit where it moves then does the “flux linkage measurement” where you have to spin the wheels.

the direction you spin the wheel sets the direction for forwards.

if your on a ride the easiest thing is to put your board on the ground and push it forwards, then both forward directions will be set correct.

No, I meant The Dude :grin:

The_Dude

4 Likes

will there ever be an option to change the config from sensored to sensorless with either app? Be an awesome tool for diagnosing faults.

what firmware is that running? The first unities had a calc issue for motor temp which caused it to ramp down the power prematurely.

Did you opened the Unity UI before you got on yout board? I somehow suspect that this is caused by the shitty original bluetooth module which resets or writes wrong values without you touching it. I had the same thing happened on one first batch Unity. On my second Unity I only used the Focbox tool and haven’t had any issues.

no, i never open the unity ui COS ITS SHIT. well untill something breaks and i have to use it to fix things.

1 Like

On the other Forum I read that you use the phone to redo the settings, its just a thought. Whatever it is. Enertion decided to not address it! Jeffrey isn´t on the support thread neither is Charles, maybe both aren´t payed anymore, who knows?
I wish that there will be a conclusion at some point, until then my choice will be other ESC´s.

1 Like

It’s supposed to work that way, but I’ve had multiple instances where that isn’t what happens. And I have literally tried putting the thing on the ground and rolling it. But I’ve had just as many times where that works properly.

Yeah, I fight with this problem all the time. It’s a real scary pain in the ass. A few times I forgot and was accelerating downhill and got the stuff you talk about, like random braking of each wheel, huge wobbles because of it… at 62 km/h Not a nice experience. There is a erpm limit in your windows app / android app If you have a bt modul like metr pro. You set your max speed and then you set % limit where it should start giving you less power so you know you are coming to the max speed and you don’t get thrown off by random motor braking. I talked to Trampa and was told they will have a dynamic limit… A speed limit that will lower as you battery drains, therefore you will always get power loss before reaching max speed and not only with your battery charged…

1 Like

My unity as of today only shows that I have 90% of a charge. I’ll update if things change. Had anyone else had this issue.

Did you confirm on your actual battery that it’s not the issue?

1 Like

I went for a ride about 6 miles I checked it after I got back its still on 90%

Im at work so I don’t have my tools

Edit .ler it sit wothout power for awhile and reconnected. To unity ui its fine now.

Today their was a release of a new firmware for Unity.
I highly recommend all to update to the newest firmware direct!

It fixed a bug that would allow battery A to draw double of what you set as max.
I think Enertion will make a announcement tomorrow about it.

9 Likes

Thanks for letting us know a new firmware was released! I fucking knew something was up when 15/20/25 amp settings showed 30/40/50 amps on the app. Good thing I tested my setup before riding all nilly-willy.

Typical issue of ESCs with two shunts only, like VESC 4.xx and Focboxes, Unity etc.
These can’t sample the current far away from the switching cycle. In consequence the ESC does not respond linear to throttle inputs. They jump from 80% to full throttle and there is nothing you can do software wise to compensate. On powerful, torque rich, heavily geared boards that is very noticeable and can cause trouble like you described.

There was a reason why Benjamin Vedder went for three shunt designs after the VESC 4.12.

https://www.vesc-project.com/node/403

4 Likes